Datto_610's 180B - Street Legal!

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Re: Datto_610's 180B - Street Legal!

Post by Datto_610 »

torqued wrote:TPS and knock sensor are interesting.

I have unplugged tps while it was running (warm) which raised idle (is that normal?) Knock sensors don't seem easy to come by, my brother does have a spare DE block I could probably pinch the knock sensor off
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Problem solved!!! Bart, Karl and Fletch who is down from up north came round on Thursday night to have a look and see if we could find the issue. Tested tps and set it to where it should be and tried running it again but still no change. Bart got an RB20 afm to try (that's what I'm running) to see if that was the issue but still no change. Ran the diagnostic check again on the ecu and got code 12, 13, 34 and 43 so afm, coolant temp sensor, tps and knock sensor. Tried clearing the codes to see if that would help but after doing that it wouldn't start at all.... it was pretty late by this point so called it a night. I was planning on taking it to one of customers workshops for them to have a look at it yesterday as it was doing my head in but no being able to start it I couldn't... so had power to coils and fuel but no spark??? Borrowed an ecu and igniter off Bart to try but still nothing! I removed the cas and tested it which it appeared to be getting the correct voltage. With the key to on spinning the cas shaft slowly the injectors would click but still no spark to coil. So I went to test voltage going to the igniter pulled the plug off and noticed on the earth wire the copper strands poking out where they shouldn't be.... took some of the tape off to get a better look and found one of those blue crimp wire connecters on the igniter earth right by the plug so got rid of that got a piece of wire to join the two together and got Bart over to solder it for me (I'm useless at soldering) once that was done kicked her in the guts, for a moment I didn't think it was going to start but after cranking just that little bit longer she burst into life! I'm guessing by spinning the cas by hand and having the injectors fire flooded the motor (I did unplug the fuel pump after realising that would probably happen) so it ran but still rough, not as rough has it had been cold before fixing the earth. It occurred to me that when I removed the cas I didn't mark where it was set to so got the timing light out again and we tried to set it 10 deg BTDC but would only run quite rough... a quick text to Dan Adams which he said he only ever sets his CA's to 15 deg BTDC so we set it to that and now she's sweet!!! Quick burn up the road to test and she pulls hard again with no misfires!
So stoked!!
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Good work Greg, sorry I couldn't be more help the other day. Electrical gremlins can be a real nightmare.

Have you run diagnostics since then to see if anything comes up?
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

Well done Greg. Are you taking Bart, wire and a soldering bolt up north with you?
Datsuns from A to Zed
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

well done man
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Ok so after fixing the earth on the igniter I thought every thing was fine. WRONG! started it up to go out Saturday morning and it was back to how it was great.... went to my Partners parents place and cleaned it inside and out and gave the paint work a bit off a cut and polish which came up pretty good! Went for a big drive but it didn't miraculously come right like I had hoped. Got home and unplugged the coil packs one by one again and this time on No.3 cylinder there was little to no change. So swapped out another coil still no change.. changed out all spark plugs for new ones but still the same. Made sure it was getting spark which it definitely was. So thought must be fuel! unplugged No.3 injector and just like unplugging the coil pack little to no difference! Eureka! Got a set off Bart to try but wasn't able to fit them that night as I dropped it off to Datsunboy's place out in Leeston to finish off the headlight wiring. Picked it up last night and got home late so wasn't able to try the other injectors then either. Fletch had kindly offered to come round while I was at work today and fit them for me, but I may have called in sick so I could get stuck in.. I've only changed one out at this point and I put Barts one in cyl 1 and put one of my others in cyl 3 just to eliminate anything else. Took the filter gauze thing out of the fuel filter housing and gave that a bit of a clean but it wasn't overly dirty. Fired her up and she was running mint again woohoo! Got a wof today too as it would've expired tomorrow now I'm all set for my roadtrip! The injector I took out was definitely blocked as comparing it to others you couldn't see into it very well. I'll put some inejector cleaner in it too as I would hate for another one to clog... When I get back I think I'm going to get all my injectors flow tested and cleaned/serviced as to elimnate future hassles! A bit of a performance but glad it's over well for now anyway...

:burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:
20170325_122614.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

Man you are having some shitty luck. I know all of these teething problems are coming my way soon so I will take inspiration from your thread of getting shit sorted!
My orangatang 510 here.
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Hahaha yeah all part of it unfortunately. Just happy I never gave in. Came close though!
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

Nice work Greg! Just one of the dramas of having bits that have sat around for ages I guess.

I can't remember if CA's have top feed or side feed injectors, but mrinjector.us sells the injector service kits really cheap, then you can just give the bare bodies to NZEFI or something to clean rather than pay them the big $$ for a full proper service.
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

broke wrote:Nice work Greg! Just one of the dramas of having bits that have sat around for ages I guess.

I can't remember if CA's have top feed or side feed injectors, but mrinjector.us sells the injector service kits really cheap, then you can just give the bare bodies to NZEFI or something to clean rather than pay them the big $$ for a full proper service.
Yeah top feed..oooh good to know thanks!