Luke's 1200 Coupe

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
luke
Datsun Addict

Re: Stripping out coupe/Rust repairs/Welding

Post by luke »

ok so now after the garage outing etc anyone have thoughts on the best way to deal to my coupe? engine bay will be stripped out monday morning, and going to get grinder and stripper disc thing tomorrow morning, just needing someone there who has been down this path to show me how to not stuff anything up.

monday anybody?
1972 1200 coupe KB110
DAT620
Datsun Driver
aka: J

Post by DAT620 »

my paint stripping history is a motorcycle fuel tank and a half a mini, working on a tailgate for the 620 ATM, Ill come and give ya a hand if you want? <-- number should be in the side panel txt me your address and a time and Ill shoot over, get 80 grit flap disk and some paint stripper some glad wrap and some scrapers nd cheapest brushes u can get is all I use.
No matter where you go, there you are.
nick_m
Datsun Master
aka: Nick m

Post by nick_m »

I wouldnt strip it until you have the means/are ready to prime it or that other stuff Mush mentioned straight after you have stripped it. Otherwuse its just going to rust
luke
Datsun Addict

Post by luke »

it happens/starts tomorrow, have the means to primer it within the week. even if rust repairs are not done i could still cover most of it right? , anyone who sees this thread is welcome to come help me or lend an opinion etc. thanks to all for the reccomendations!
1972 1200 coupe KB110
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

If you're that keen and not sure what you're doing paint wise, I'd say strip the bay with a wire wheel attachment on a grinder, then POR15 or black paint it so that you can put everything back in and it still looks tidy, then you can just leave it black when/if you repaint the rest of it, and drive it in the meantime. It's always less depressing/more motivating to work in a tidy engine bay.
Dattochriswagon
Datsun God

Post by Dattochriswagon »

Epoxy Primer! Not por15 engine bays or exterior panels that paint is hard and not very sandable!
luke
Datsun Addict

Post by luke »

due to several fantastic people today, the glass, running gear, dash, and roof lining is now out and over half the coupe is back to bare metal.

as always there was more rust to be found above the front wheel arches, some possibly structual, but still very fixable!
1972 1200 coupe KB110
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2860" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

--> link to the thread with that flywheel that has been machined already and should have a good ring gear. Hit up Brendan for a starter motor or just place an ad on the forum, that should fix your starting issues. :burnout:
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

That is a CA18 flywheel.

Do you have Issues with your ring gear Luke?
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
mush

Post by mush »

As Chris said, I'd stay as far away from POR 15 as you can unless your painting a chassis or suspension parts. POR stands for paint over rust, so that cant be good for a start. From experience, it sticks to everything and nothing sticks to it. I've heard of fresh paint work peeling off like a sheet by just blowing it down with an air gun.
My advice would be use a good 2 pack epoxy primer. :)