D1RTY6's C331 Gloria

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
D1RTY6
Financial Member
aka: Nathan

Re: D1RTY6's C331 Gloria

Post by D1RTY6 »

Question

should i be able to stop the viscous fan by had quite easily while its running?

Still having heating issues and i wonder if the fan might not be working
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

I think you can stop them. but I don't believe it strongly enough to have ever tried.
Are you planning on fitting an electric fan the viscous sound terrible that could solve your problem.
Datsuns from A to Zed
Ivan
Datsun Nutter
aka: Ivan

Post by Ivan »

How's your head gasket man?
Datsun 260c

https://www.facebook.com/groups/jdmridesnz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
D1RTY6
Financial Member

Post by D1RTY6 »

Na dont think its the head gasket. its such a irregular heating up then cooling down...

i also remember now that when i came round to check your car out Ivan you mentioned my fan was alot lets "tight" than yours and didnt seem to spin as fast...

i chucked my new radiator today and will chuck it back togther tomorrow with new fan and see how we go
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Post by brocky41 »

have you removed and or bypassed the heater, can be trouble - - i still think its just your dash guage

My 330 was sweet while driving - hit a hill and the guage went up, but an aftermarket guage hooked in too only moved a smidge ie the standard guage moves alot with slight increase.

also i would get these and be done with it - can do though work - davies craig - you can check the website.

Id get rid of your viscous fan and either run a solid one or get rid of it altogether, throw one of these 12ich or 14inch fans on and a thermo switch (either mechanical or electronic ) you set the temp it comes on at at and it does its thing.

Some guys keep the rigid fan and use the 12v one as a backup, but id just run a 12v to free up that 2 or 3 HP lol.

mitey1200
Datsun Dreamer

Post by mitey1200 »

A viscous fan should be pretty tight to turn.If you can spin it pretty freely It needs replaced.
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Some viscious fans you can use pliers to pull the metal thermostat strip tighter so it restores some lockup to the fan.

Some Toyota viscous fans can be rebuilt but the Nissan ones seem to be sealed units.

I never once had overheating issues until i went to electric fans, they do work really well and can usually pull a lot higher CFM than electrics.

Dont quote me but i believe you should be able to turn the fan while its cold, and when hot air hits the metal thermostat strip it should then lockup. Cools when it needs too, dosn't waste engine power when it dosn't
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
D1RTY6
Financial Member

Post by D1RTY6 »

So tried a few different options for cooling this weekend (within my current budget)

I ended up locking up my clutch fan so it was solid and chucked that back on. it pulls some serious CFM and i have lost a little power which i guess was to be expected. The erratic heating up and cooling down seems to have stopped so that's a positive.

I also test fitted and run the new alloy radiator i got for it ages ago with some temp mounts, it kept perfect temp with out budging driving up around the hills so thats another positive sign. i think this will go in with some big electric fans in the near future. i just need someone to weld up some mounts for it...anyone know where/or who is a good place to go to for this?
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

Hit up Nick M he's the man for ali welding!
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Remember to keep the alloy radiator fully isolated from the bodywork, and make sure grounds to the block and heads are in good condition. I will throw up a tech article on alloy radiators and electrolysis.

I have just had to replace an alloy radiator in my sisters truck that was only 8 months old, sure enough there was a stray current that slowly ate away the radiator.

http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopi ... 805#p77805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30