DJZ's DR30 Skyline

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
DJZ
Datsun God

Re: DJZ's DR30 Skyline

Post by DJZ »

Nah it was actually the adjustor that jammed up, it would tighten but wouldn't loosen, got so tight in the end that I couldn't turn the wheel with the key off. After pulling the top of the box apart I'm a bit mystified as to what happened.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
R30_Elliott
aka: Elliott

Post by R30_Elliott »

I've got a couple of spare steering boxes if you wanna have a look at them, ones pretty rough but the others in good nick as far as I know
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Thanks man, I'm going to a mates tomorrow night to try and hunt one out that I think he has but if I get stuck I'll let you know.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Why is it that when you're trying to sell a car everything starts going wrong? After swapping out the steering box for another better one I took it out for a test drive last night and the speedo stopped working! Had a quick look under the car and it was still attached to the gearbox, had a look at it this afternoon and it'd just popped off the back of the instrument cluster so I had to pull all that out to put it back on!

And the drivers window has started getting really noisy when going up and down. Old cars eh? Who'd have them.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Aint that the truth.......
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

So after having pretty much zero interest in this I've decided to start putting it back to standard(ish), starting with removing the 5 stud conversion. I just picked up some 15x7 +12 Superlites with tyres for $150, one of them needs fixing or replacing, apparently a brick wall fell on the car (an AE86) and the dude though the extra weight ballooned the tyre and popped a chunk out of the rim, weirdly it still holds air. They should stick out about 5mm more than the GTR wheels. They may not stay on there permanently but it means I can make a start on swapping it back to 4 stud.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

So stancey, such fitment. I wasn't planning on swapping back to 4 stud just yet as I haven't been able to locate another wheel or get a quote on getting the damaged one fixed but somebody wants to buy the 5 stud front hubs. I've misplaced the original calipers at the moment, I think they might have gone into storage so I'll have to dig them out on the weekend.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Looks quite silly with small tyres on it. I'm working on some other 16" wheels, the Superlite factory closed in December apparently and I'm not liking my chances of getting the broken wheel fixed. I got the original brake calipers out of storage but one of the brand new pads that I put in them has gone missing, the S15 calipers actually lined up fine with the DR rotors so I've left them on for the moment, also means I didn't have to bleed the brakes again.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Is it starting to look like a real DR30? I bought the Watanabe's off Karl's HR30 which used to be Adams which used to be mine! They are 16x7 & 16x8 but +38 front and rear. The first photo is of one of the 8s on the front which doesn't clear the strut tube but only just, I'll run the with the 7s on the front and 8s on the back for a while then get some spacers and put the 8s on the front and get the 7s widened to go on the back, Pine Engineering can do bands for 16s by the looks of it, I'll probably only be able to take them out to 9s before they won't clear the arches I think.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
280zx_nz
Regular

Post by 280zx_nz »

I inquired with Pine engineering about getting new bands for them and by the sounds of it - completely possible. Did you find out if they were 2 or 3 piece?
Last edited by 280zx_nz on Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic Skylines owners of New Zealand
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Classicskylinesnz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Classic Z owners of New Zealand
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ClassicZedsofNZ/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;