Re: DJZ's other 280ZX

Post by torqued »

Who cares. Just do it
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Can't afford it right now, and besides there's no L20s left, you bought them all!
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
mark105
Datsun Dreamer
aka: 10 5

Post by mark105 »

do you have to run a OS engine? RB20DE Neo's have a good we head setup on them and they have some vacuum operated butterfly's in the inlet manifold which means a little bit of sneaky dowelling and porting and you have your throttle bodies pre made for you. An ECU and some trumpets and extractors and you could go racing. This is what i was going to do in my C110 before i decided L series was cooler.
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

Too many valves per cly.
Must be original and 2valve per cly
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
mark105
Datsun Dreamer
aka: 10 5

Post by mark105 »

found their website. you'd be better off with a little sunny with a L20b in it or similar to be competitive but yeh getting OT.
ProZac wrote:Image
ditch the air dam but the rest of that is win.
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

DJZ wrote:This was the project I was considering for ShellSport but I just don't see it being competitive with an L20 in it, and my wallet isn't that big. We'll see what happens with it in the future, I would like to get into some proper racing one day.
Have you got the full interior? Go classic racing, L series turbo, must resemble original engine, one of these on a diet with a turbo L32 would be very competitive, and look the part. Although the snobs with the oil / smoke leakers might not like racing you :(
Datsuns from A to Zed
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

classicdat wrote:
DJZ wrote:This was the project I was considering for ShellSport but I just don't see it being competitive with an L20 in it, and my wallet isn't that big. We'll see what happens with it in the future, I would like to get into some proper racing one day.
Have you got the full interior? Go classic racing, L series turbo, must resemble original engine, one of these on a diet with a turbo L32 would be very competitive, and look the part. Although the snobs with the oil / smoke leakers might not like racing you :(
Turbo 3.2L? Now we're definitely exceeding the budget :) maybe one day in the very very distant future.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
nzeder
Regular

Post by nzeder »

classicdat wrote:Although the snobs with the oil / smoke leakers might not like racing you :(
you get that down south too do you?
76 RS30 260z road
73 RS30 260z track
Previous
70 HS30-00016 240z
72 HS30 240z 2.8 track
71 HS30 240z 3.2 road/track
79 HS130 280zx
82 HS130 280zx T top
2x 73 KP710 160JSSS
74 KB210 120Y Coupe
71 510 1600 Deluxe
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

You can run anything with an Alfa Badge, no matter how ugly, slow or both. Any thing with a Porsche Badge no matter if you just picked it up new from the dealer. Anything English, lets be honest they haven't built anything other than taxis since the '80s, although I wonder how I'd get on running a UK Primera?
As soon as you want to run a Jap car you don't get the invites to Skope and the like. To be fair we are fortunate, with several historic Shell Sport and SCCA Datsuns being admitted, and a small hand full or 240z's. No Toyotas unless in the Historic touring cars, which include 2004+ BMWs Only one Mazda RX3, and only because it has run since new and belongs to a long term auditor.
Jap, forget it, there's the door. Not classic, probably because the Starlet still dominates club sport. As always it's more about who you are than what you drive.
And it probably doesn't help that the Zs kick butt. SCCA and Shell Sport cars make the excorts etc. look pretty punk too :P
Still Skope is the best weekend at Ruapuna each year, glorious cars :D
Datsuns from A to Zed
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Trying to start and leave unfinished as many jobs as I can, thought I'd start on the headwork for this thing - I've had a head sitting there stripped and cleaned for a couple of months. I've seen a couple of motors in the States with LD28 inlet manifolds on them and I've got the technology now to fuse the head flange from a petrol manifold to the LD28 mani (as it doesn't have injector ports) and I'll get a bigish throttle body maybe a 70mm one? Should be interesting. One good reason for running an LD manifold is the long runners but also:

L28E inlet manifold runner diameter:

LD28 inlet manifold runner diameter:

I've just started to match the ports on this head to the inlet manifold size but you can see it's much, much closer to the LD runner dia. than the L28 one!

For this head I'm going to try and make it a budget copy of the head I had ported/worked for the 3.1L motor, I'm planning on fitting it with 1mm oversize stainless valves on the exhaust side and giving it a bit of porting and a cam ground for a turbo motor, don't want to go too crazy as I don't really know what I'm doing.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread