DJZ's other 280ZXs

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
DJZ
Datsun God

Re: DJZ's other 280ZXs

Post by DJZ »

Took 2 weeks off to try and get this thing mobile and ready for panel work.

Been a bit disappointing so far, keep finding more bits missing. I put both the front struts in only to find the sway bar mount bracket was missing from the right hand side and the radius rod was missing from the left! Couldn't find either in the parts I got with the car but I found some spare radius rods that I had but had to steal the sway bar bracket off the other 2 seater. Bought new bushes for both as well as the radius rod bushes on the other 2 seater had perished even though they were Nolathane.

Anyway, I hope to have it back on the ground and driveable (but not very far) tomorrow, I still need to check I've done the driveshaft bolts up, fill the gearbox with oil and try and find a clutch slave cylinder hose, I'm pretty sure I've got one somewhere. Then once it's on the ground I need to tighten the radius rod nuts up and tighten the control arm to crossmember bolts, if I can't fit underneath it to do them I'll have to put it on the ramps.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

For your clutch slave hose a Brake hose is the correct fittings and length too. I used a 280zx brake hose on my slave.
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Good thinking, I'm not sure if I've got any Z ones around but I've got two R30 ones, I'll have a look tomorrow and see if they'll work.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Robbed a front brake hose off the other 2 seater for the clutch, it's got a little nick in it but I think it'll be okay. Still need to make a bracket to hold the clutch line, the auto cars don't come with them and I haven't got a spare.

Changed the right rear brake pads then I spent ages trying to get brake fluid to thecaliper till I noticed a big puddle under the left rear wheel, guess I didn't check the bleeder was tight when I fitted that caliper! Bled the whole system, master cylinder, wheels and the clutch as well. Will give them another bleed a bit later on to be doubly sure it's good. They haven't had fluid in them for a long time, hopefully the calipers are all okay.

Put the radiator hoses on and filled the cooling system up, two small leaks, one from the lower radiator hose which just needs a replacement clamp (I refitted the OE ones) and the other might be a pain, it's from this tee fitting thing near where the radiator hoses go onto the block, I think this might be the "poppet" for pressure relief when cold that we discussed in Craig's thread the other day. Some ZX's have them, some don't, possibly the auto air ones don't, I'm not sure why not though? If I can't find another one in my spares I might just remove it.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Couldn't find another tee in the garage so I've removed it for the moment. Fixed the other leak as well. Thought I'd make sure it still ran so put the battery back in it and gave it a crank, started on the 2nd try which is pretty good!

Back on the ground tomorrow, need to find a pin for the gearstick then hopefully it should be able to move under it's own power.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Well it moves under it's own power, yay! The gearbox actually feels really nice going into gear, I've only had it in first and reverse though. Next on the list is a radiator cap and an alternator/fan belt as I can't warm it up fully with the water pump not spinning, I'll try and sort those tomorrow.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Good Work, pics and a video :D
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

:agree: :popcorn: :popcorn:
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Here it is in all it's 2+2 glory. I've been having a bit of trouble bleeding the cooling system, not quite sure what's going on. Having no dash and therefore no temperature gauge isn't really helping.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Post by dirtyleppa »

If you have trouble bleeding it try cutting the bottom out of a coke bottle. Use a 2litre bottle if possible,then put the neck into the radiator and fill as normal. That ill raise the high point above the motor an should help the air escape easier