R31 struts into a 160j

all your DIY needs
160jsss
Financial Member

R31 struts into a 160j

Post by 160jsss »

Hi all this could be a bit of a read sorry.

Here goes.

Right i go my greasy mitts on a set of r31 struts they are out of a live rear mod i know they are not as good as the turbo one's but new baby's cost shit loads and I'm not going nuts on the motor just yet .
So what I'm after is
Better brakes remember trying to slow my old 180sss down from speeds that would have you in jail these days .
Good handling as always.
Just a bit lower already have a f#*ked back and don't see eye to eye with the cop's at the best of time's so don't want to give them a reason to give my redneck arse a good going over like my car and want to keep it .

So that's what I want is this how I do it
1 cut the lower spring mount and weld my 160j mounts on at the sane hight and that gives me about 1 inch lower ??
2 and will i need to fit bump stop spacers with this ( Ie how low can i go before i need them )
Thanks all ahead of time Glynn
Violet - ??????
Godzilladat
Datsun Nutter

Re: R31 struts into a 160j

Post by Godzilladat »

What motor do you have? the stock R31 brakes from the live rear end model aren't to bad, big single sliding caliper.

You can use S12 hubs, get an R32/33 rotor and matching caliper (note there are difference between NA and Turbo, and R33 GTS-T are bigger again).

I would recommend running the bump steer spacers if you are installing these struts as it changes the angle of the control arm alot.

You will need a spacer ring to as the diameter of the hole on the bottom that sits on the steering knuckle is bigger than stock datsun struts (assuming the 160j uses similiar parts to a 610).

I put some details here of what I did and used in my 610, you can probably make a caliper bracket locally though.

HTH
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

I can probably help with spigot adapters.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
160jsss
Financial Member

Post by 160jsss »

I would recommend running the bump steer spacers if you are installing these struts as it changes the angle of the control arm alot.
Where would I get some (cheep) in NZ
I can probably help with spigot adapters.
Sorry what now ?? :oops: :oops:
Violet - ??????