1985 GB122 1200 Sunny Ute

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
beaver
Datsun Nutter

Re: 1985 GB122 1200 Sunny Ute

Post by beaver »

This is what I was talking about, although he goes on to weld on threaded sleeves for coilovers, but same concept. You could just do it without removing the factory spring cup.

http://oldschool.co.nz/2011/forum/index ... -r-fucked/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

beaver wrote:This is what I was talking about, although he goes on to weld on threaded sleeves for coilovers, but same concept. You could just do it without removing the factory spring cup.

http://oldschool.co.nz/2011/forum/index ... -r-fucked/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Man that's hori. :shock:
Kitch
Financial Member

Post by Kitch »

I had a section cut out of my tubes & retained the threaded top to hold the top nut (you could not retap, as its real fine pitch, and thin wall thickness - you would just be asking for trouble)
when it was rewelded this was ground back & tidied with flap disc, and then the new sleeve kit fitted neatly over the top & welded top & bottom, to strengthen the whole thing up.
can't remember how much was cut out to accomodate the VW rabbit inserts, might have been like 120mm, as the inserts are a lot shorter on the VW ones.
You could do it this way & if you got it right then weld the bottom spring cup over the join in the tube so it is all discrete & looks factory, coupled with heavier' springs. trouble is trying to work it all out. or just 'float' the cup insitu and use vice grips to position to get right ride height, enough stroke & keep spring captive.

I actually drew it all up on CAD & testfitted it all before I got too carried away.
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

The ultimate setup would be this... Obviously requires buying S13 coilovers and having sleeves made. This writeup is for a Toyota, but Datsun struts run the same type of setup.

http://driftoy.proboards.com/index.cgi? ... thread=210" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tony_Whenua
Financial Member

Post by Tony_Whenua »

Last edited by Tony_Whenua on Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Dude you're like 30 degrees retarded" - Chris_g1 & 2 Doors
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

Are you planning on doing the body-adjustable setup that I posted? If so I think the first thing you should do is buy your coilovers. Lots of engineers/machinists should be able to make something like that, someone like John (skdmrx) would be able to do it.

However, I'm pretty sure that whoever you get to do it will want to have the coilover with the male thread to test fit into the female threaded tube just to make sure that it will thread in nicely. Also, they will want to know the OD of your strut tube (or have one there) so that they can test fit that to ensure a perfect interference fit as well.
Kitch
Financial Member

Post by Kitch »

as per my PM HSD (ottomoto) defnately do the small 45-46mm sleeves to fit B110 struts.
Unless for some reason they have been discontinued since I brought mine about 3 years back.
Tony_Whenua
Financial Member

Post by Tony_Whenua »

broke wrote:Are you planning on doing the body-adjustable setup that I posted? If so I think the first thing you should do is buy your coilovers. Lots of engineers/machinists should be able to make something like that, someone like John (skdmrx) would be able to do it.

However, I'm pretty sure that whoever you get to do it will want to have the coilover with the male thread to test fit into the female threaded tube just to make sure that it will thread in nicely. Also, they will want to know the OD of your strut tube (or have one there) so that they can test fit that to ensure a perfect interference fit as well.
Yes planning on doing that one. Found lots of sites with explanations on how to do it.
I know I need to get all the kits etc first, I'm just doing the research to make sure that once I start doing it, I'll be able to finish it.
Kitch wrote:as per my PM HSD (ottomoto) defnately do the small 45-46mm sleeves to fit B110 struts.
Unless for some reason they have been discontinued since I brought mine about 3 years back.
I've emailed Otomoto about their 46mm ones asking if these are the ones they recommend for the 45mm strut tube bit still no reply. I'm assuming they are, as there are no 45mm ones on their site.
I've also contacted Jamex Springs in Auckland and they recommend the 51mm kits for people with "junior struts". Unsure what that means, but assuming excuse for not having any smaller sizes.

Again sorry for my shit banter :strangle: but just nervous about getting it wrong
grant76
Datsun Nutter

Post by grant76 »

wonder if that junior thing is to do with ministockers, its a junior racing series (this may be completely wrong by the way)
Tony_Whenua
Financial Member

Post by Tony_Whenua »

How do I get the 2nd front wheel bearing out? Is there a trick to it ...

Coming along slowly, New struts shortened, painted and back together with shock & spring.
One is even back on the car!