L18E EFI info and pics

all your DIY needs
datsunboy
Datsun God
aka: Dan

L18E EFI info and pics

Post by datsunboy »

hey.
heres the pics of the thermostat housing.

you can also see the factory notch's and centre stud holes.

as I mentioned earlier, this head had a dellorto manifold on it when I bought it, which is why someone has drilled and tapped some holes for the normal stud pattern.

You can see on the thermostat housing, that it has the 2 different temperature senders for the ECU and dash.

it also has a water pipe connection which I assume would connect up to that block under the cold start we were talking about.
just gotta find out where to hook up your other one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1969 SSS Nissan Bluebird coupe
1970 Datsun 1600 - CA18DET - Sold!
unlimitedpower
Datsun Mad

Re: L18E EFI info and pics

Post by unlimitedpower »

Cheers for that pics look great i have seen photos of W53 injected heads before on the net but none as clear as this.
Hopefully L6 Thermostat housings are the same as i doubt i'll be able to find a L18E one anytime soon.
Im gutted i missed the one on trade me my computer started up just a little to slow auction said closing just as i opened it up. :(
unlimitedpower
Datsun Mad

Post by unlimitedpower »

Well i just worked out where one of the water lines into the idle thing comes from.
What are the 2 notches in the lower part of the 1st and 2nd intake ports for???
datsunboy
Datsun God

Post by datsunboy »

bugger.
I'd say the L28E is probably the same :tits:

Dunno.
they have similar things like that on carburated heads and manifolds.....I think it has something to do with fuel vapor or something???
not something specific to the injected manifold tho.
unlimitedpower
Datsun Mad

Post by unlimitedpower »

Ah ok cheers
If i had paid more attention i would have noticed that you already mentioned that little pipe in the first post.
That thermostat housing has 3 senders?
ECU, Gauge, ???

IM working on the guy who brought the head as it came with a package of heaps of other parts so hopefully he was more after the L20B block and other parts in that pile rather than the head.
Dattodevil
Datsun Addict
aka: Damo

Post by Dattodevil »

And thermo time switch for the cold start injector.
datsunboy
Datsun God

Post by datsunboy »

sweet, good luck with it.

haha, didnt notice that third sender!
as damon said, that is most likely what it is for (at a guess), but it will be just a thermo switch.....wont have any time function built in.
either that or its for some electric thermo fans? lol.....but less likely
unlimitedpower
Datsun Mad

Post by unlimitedpower »

Cheers that make since i will want to run that then.
I would say that the 2 Square plugs are the ECU side of it and the Round single pin plug is the Gauge sender just like any other L series.

I'll try get that stuff sent some time mid next week.
Godzilladat
Datsun Nutter

Post by Godzilladat »

A guy on my forum gave me some interesting facts on the 610 factory efi (small pic below, unfortunately don't have any bigger).

On the Australian delivered 180b's, they came with an extra plug right near the wiper motor plug. I always wondered what it was there for.

Here is the quote for anyone interested
Hi everyone FYI all series 11 610 SSS [indicators in grill] were available in Japan with the option of EFI .A EFi version had a small "E" badge on the right side of the boot lid. It was a early Bosch system made under licence by Hitachi [It was the Jap version of J jettronic also used by MBenz/VW/volvo]This is where a lot of L series efi manifolds came from. Very simple system it used Air&water temp/throttle position/manifold pressure Injectors were fired by a second st of points in the dizzy and from memory that was it.I came across these engines at EKW in the 70's and with a mate we plumbed them into a series1 SSS needed hand wiring whereas when fitting to series 11 we found the plug under the wiper motor that matched the plug on the loom [which we had complete with ecu remember there were no microtechs back then] pluged it in- couldnt find the wire to the fuelpump- added that and away she went.
Performance was huge but the best thing was the torque it was awesome!!! We used both SSS's in Club sport and anyone old enough would remember them at Calder or Winton. I sold the SSS less efi then put it on my wifes 200b auto which turned it into a super beast She never lost a drag at the lights.The 200b was awesome when towing you could accelerate up hills towing a tandem with a Falcon it and the plebs in their holdens couldn't beleive it. Efi was eventually sold as my kids got older.
While I remember we used fuel pump from a 280zx and cut up 280zx manifold gaskets to get the efi manifold onto the four cylinder head.
The worst part of this episode was the TOTAL lack of support/help/advice/assistance from Nissan [according to them it never happened in Japan or anywhere!!] Pity we didn't the internet back then. If anyone in Japan is tuned in they may be able to supply more info Cheers
My early model has the extra plug to, so I assume it would also work if I found the efi gear.
datsunboy
Datsun God

Post by datsunboy »

maybe its a EFI relay plug or something?