SR16ve RWD

all your DIY needs
nzdatman
Financial Member

Re: SR16ve RWD

Post by nzdatman »

looking pretty sweet. have you looked into how hard it would be to use the gtir quad throttles?
nick_m
Datsun Master
aka: Nick m

Post by nick_m »

Cool, So how much is left to finish off glen?
Looks like the only "big" thing to finish is the plenum
IIIRII
Regular

Post by IIIRII »

Ill make a plenum I think % use a 65 or 70mm t/b, but cant do that untill I have the engine in the car or a donor body to use to set it up.
I have looked at gtir itb's but I wouldnt use them (altho they do look quite easy to adapt) I would use 20v1600 4age setup and make a manifold.
The gtir ones are a really bad shape imho I think its because they need to fit under the bonnet of the gtir , as a consequence have a very abrupt direction change .
I need to work out how much room I have around the clutch master cylinder etc: and if Im going to mount the engine back thru the firewall .
Still needs the injection fuel system made up /return line/tank modified/surge tank (maybe) injector rail modified/ engine mounts / radiator /
But yes the plenum is probably the most time consuming part now.
cheater_5
Datsun Dreamer

Post by cheater_5 »

wierd, i havent got that once...
Godzilladat
Datsun Nutter

Post by Godzilladat »

nick_m wrote:Correct, Use the pistons and rings from sr16ve and put them in the sr20de and you'll have 12:1 (or there abouts) compression. The 16ve pistons have the same pin height etc as 20de pistons just more dome. They also have real deep valve reliefs because the high lobes in the 16ve has 12mm of lift so you want have to worry about any 20de cams have to much lift.
Hey Nick, will that 12:1 compression mean that top grade fuel will be needed like avgas etc? or do you think you could tune it on Premium unleaded?
nick_m
Datsun Master

Post by nick_m »

Well, the autech s15 was a 200hp sr20de with 12:1 compression (sr16ve pistons) Slightly bigger cams etc and I know of a couple kicking round nz and their owners run them fine on our BP 98RON. I also know of a couple of built sr20ve's running 12.7:1 compression on 98RON. So in short i'd say yes. If it was my motor i'd be quite comfortable with running it on 98RON but it is getting up there so a resonable amount of caution would probably be advisable.

Sorry for hijacking your post there glen.
Godzilladat
Datsun Nutter

Post by Godzilladat »

Thanks for the info Nick. Found this site in my travels, aftermarket billet cams for VE's -> http://www.camshafts.co.nz/Nissan.aspx
IIIRII
Regular

Post by IIIRII »

Adrian
Franklin Cams, Pukekohe
Been there a long time
nick_m
Datsun Master

Post by nick_m »

Hey glen I had a question about the crank pulley,
I was told that by machining 5mm off the de crank pulley, it stopped it binding on the oil pump allowing you to use the de crank pulley with the VE front cover. Did you look into this or do you think it's a myth.
I wouldnt have a clue either way as I haven't had a good look at my ve front cover.
Also, What model silvia was your donor DE from?
IIIRII
Regular

Post by IIIRII »

S14 block
Yes you can machine the de pulley, but the timing marks are miles out if you use the ve front cover.
omg it posted.
I used the 1600 pulley as it was a better option for me, easier to space the waterpump pulley and altenator forward 13mm.
And it made more sence using the complete crank & pulley assembly forom the 1600.