DJZ's other other 2 seater 280ZX

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
DJZ
Datsun God

Re: DJZ's other other 2 seater 280ZX

Post by DJZ »

Some of the bits have turned up, still waiting for the motor itself though. I've started sorting through it, the N1 oil pump is up for sale, I won't fit another one of those to an RB ever again. The motor came with a clutch which is quite interesting, there's a lightweight flywheel with no brand on it but the clutch plate is a puck one made by Kayaba (KYB), I didn't even know they made clutches. It looks to be reasonably new so I'll probably refit that to the motor before it goes in.

I got another RB26 inlet side mostly for the bit that bolts to the head so now I've got another spare set of throttle bodies and another plenum.

I've started removing stuff from the engine bay like the charcoal canister and original air filter housing, I'll probably pull the auto box and front half of the exhaust out tomorrow if I have time.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

lol at the description on the oil pump, are they shit,or just not suitable for an rb?
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

That's what I broke in the black car, not worth risking it again, even in a low power motor.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

I'm going to dub this motor the 25.6R

What a fantastic engine though.
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Got the new motor and the rest of the bits today, I started having a look over it, couple of good bits on it, the head is quite odd, somebody has spent a lot of time on the inlet ports but the exhaust ports look basically standard. It has massive cams in it, 290 11.5 on the exhaust side and 280 11.5 on the inlet, that's bigger than what I was planning on running in the black car, I think they are Tomei Procams, if they are the 290 degree is the biggest they make. The head has been notched to clear the cam lobes and it'll have thicker buckets and hopefully heavy valve springs.

The oil pump looks standard. It's got quite a thin looking metal head gasket. The HKS cam gears will be coming off, I don't really like the way they look, it's also got possibly a Greddy cam belt.

I've got Bart's borescope so when I get it home and get it on the engine stand I'll try and have a look at the guts, I'm trying to avoid pulling the sump off.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Got the guys next door to machine me up a spacer today for the Wilwood brake master cylinder, I've swapped the threaded pieces at the bottom for the ones out of the original Z master cylinder so it's ready to bolt on.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Did you look inside the sump yet?
apart from the pink bits, what do you not dig about the hks cam gears?
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Nah it's still at work, will probably bring it home on Monday. It's pretty much only the look that I don't like, I seem to remember that some of the early ones had issues where when the anodising wears off they chew out the cam belt really fast.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

For sale then?
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Everything is for sale :)

I did a quick test fit of the master cylinder, it fits really well, brake pipes line up perfectly and it looks almost stock.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread