240c front brake upgrade???

all your DIY needs
deadmaul240c

240c front brake upgrade???

Post by deadmaul240c »

Hey guys im in the process of putting some hilux 4pot front brakes on my 240 they fit on there i just need to trim the dust shield and they shall be tight, i was just wondering if anyone else has done this conversion to any other 240s/260s/280s and if they could help out with the rotor sizing im pretty sure i need something like a 278mm rotor, would my best bet be to pull the other rotors off and take them in with a ruff measurement of the new rotor i need and see what is available ?
H230c 73 240c coupe ,Red
*ma70 88 Turbo A supra, Black
*83 mark II crown
*83 ga14 sentra
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Re: 240c front brake upgrade???

Post by Datto_610 »

I have some 280mm 5 stud rotors at home you could try if you like?
fletch
Financial Member

Post by fletch »

i think you need to use some kind of mitsubishi magna disc. Otherwise bolt the caliper on with the stock disc and measure how much bigger diameter you need over stock, and how many mm it needs to be off set to fit the centre of the caliper.

go to repco or some place that sells replacement discs and go through the book until you find some that fit. it takes ages, but its cheap
fletch
Financial Member

Post by fletch »

found it, you need magna discs, dba425, or a cheaper brand. sounds like you might need a little machining to get them to fit

this is from ozconnection on ozdat.com

"I soon realized that I needed better brakes for the coupe. I looked at what my hardware had to offer me but I felt that even with improved brake pads fitted (Bendix Ultimates which has the same part number as the early Zeds, DB86) wasn’t going to cut it for long with the few hundred kilos of extra weight the coupe has over the little Zed. I looked at the Disc Brakes Australia (DBA) website to see what alternate rotors could fit my car. Their website is excellent. They list the measurements of all of their disc rotors and I found that the rotors for the early Zeds had the same measurements as my coupe except for my five stud wheels verses the Zeds four.
I guessed whatever a Zed car owner used as a front brake upgrade, I could too. I visited the boys at Z-16 in Kings Park, Sydney to see what they do to a Zed’s front brakes. The boys were very helpful. They showed me a 260Z with an upgraded front brake setup that I later commissioned them to do for me. It consisted of reconditioned Sumitomo four piston callipers from a Toyota Hilux four wheel drive. The big advantage in using these callipers is they bolt onto the 240C stub axles without the need for adapter brackets, reducing costs, complexity and negating the need for an engineer’s certificate. The pads that fit these callipers are substantially larger than the originals and are available from Bendix. I specified that they fit the ‘extra heavy duty’ pads, part number DB288. They will tolerate higher operating temperatures without going “off”. By the way, Bendix has an excellent website for information on brake pad selection.
The rotors that Z-16 used for the upgrade were originally designed for a Mitsubishi Magna, DBA part number 425. These ventilated rotors can be bought upgraded with slotting and cross drilling. Excessive build up of heat is a brake system killer and I wanted the new setup to cope with anything, so I made sure these upgrades were included. The Magna rotors have an overall diameter slightly larger than the originals (276mm’s versus 271mm’s). These were the largest rotors that could be fitted without using a calliper adapter bracket. However some minor disc machining and drilling was required to get everything to work together and someone with the correct tools could attempt the job themselves. I chose to have the work done by Z-16 instead. The end product looks the goods and a big thank you goes out to Z-16."
deadmaul240c

Post by deadmaul240c »

You legend Fletch im pretty sure thats what i need ill be down the the parts shop on friday to get some and a recon kit ive got the the calipers on atm and was thinking that a 278/280mm disk was needed, Cheers mate
H230c 73 240c coupe ,Red
*ma70 88 Turbo A supra, Black
*83 mark II crown
*83 ga14 sentra