1971 Skyline 2000GT Sedan (Hakosuka)

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

Yeah! Although I've got SSS grill and dash in my non SSS 180B...
tlssunny
Financial Member
aka: jesse

Re:

Post by tlssunny »

Datto_610 wrote:Yeah! Although I've got SSS grill and dash in my non SSS 180B...
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
RDAP- Rakaia Datsun b310 Auto Parts
TLS- The Late Shift Restoration Services
mlracing
Datsun Dreamer

Re: 1971 Skyline 2000GT Sedan (Hakosuka)

Post by mlracing »

Gave the badge restoration a go. Restoration is probably a pretty loose way to describe it but I gave them a recolour. For the GT badges just used a blue Vivid, probably didn't quite turn out as I'd like, not really dark enough so I might get some blue model paint to do those at some stage. For the SKYLINE badge I used some model paint and tried to use a while paint pen to get the white bits but I think it was almost drying before it even got out of the nozzle so that didn't quite work out. May get some white model paint at some stage too but probably will be OK for now.
mlracing
Datsun Dreamer

Post by mlracing »

Did a couple of small bits the other day, decided to see why my wiper motor was not really doing a good job and install the rear emblem as well as finally put on the hood latch handle thing.

So basically when I got the car it didn't have a proper handle connected to the wire to pull the bonnet latch so what I ended up doing is getting this washed and knob setup there which was ok but still difficult.

Most excellently I found a whole wire on Yahoo but as it turned out I could just unscrew the handle bit and screw it onto my current wire which was great because it looked quite difficult to get the other one out.

Next up I attached the emblem that I sort of reburbished just using some double sided tape (the kind used to attach wings and such) so that isn't going anywhere. Looks sweet! Also mocked up the black bit there but I still need the trims that go along the top and bottom then I can attach it on there properly. Still debating whether or not to get a badge for it, probably will.

Next step rip into the wiper motor.. so what happens is when the wipers are on the windscreen it has one speed, slow. Despite having multiple actual speeds available (slow and slightly less slow). My first port of call, the switch. Sometimes people jump the switch if there's a problem or do some different wiring or wahtever. Definately some.. typical wiring jobs under here..

This one, twist and taped (and a gear boot which is broken that I have another one on the way).

This one, casual wire just hanging around.

This one, some kind of twist and tape splice method, appears regularly.

Old mate twist (no tape even on this one).

This is what I mean about the twist and tape splice method.. sans tape.

Anyway after all that I did another test with the wipers not on the windscreen and it does change speed so I think the motor is just old and worn out and can't put through the power it needs. So I've got a couple of choices here.. I can take it out and see if it can be revamped somewhere or get a different one. I've been told that S13 ones may be able to work so I'll investigate both options. Also I got rid of a bunch of redundant wiring that I suspect was for the head unit/navi that was probably there before.

Also I thought the car may have been red before and repainted to silver.. now I wonder if it's always silver and the floor was just red? No idea really.. probably had some shitty rust repair done on the floor before and maybe it's a coating or something.
mlracing
Datsun Dreamer

Post by mlracing »

Latest parts container has arrived so I went down for a nosey before the stuff gets delivered to our dispatch facility. Picked up a few things (Heaps of Boss coffee in stock now for anyone that's interested). There was a nice box that said my name on it and look what's inside!

Ohhh, ahhh. Mikuni Solex 40s. Come off the L28 that is also in the container. I'm told explicitly not to open them up as they're setup and run perfectly for L28 with big cam on stock bottom end. Super happy the throttle linkage has the adapter on it for cable too, makes life so much easier as mine uses cable not linkages like the twin carb ones.

Also these came in the box, some ancient MSD system. Looks pretty full on, not exactly sure how this would be set up or if I'll use it but will investigate that further down the line.

Also these old as electric fuel pumps, neat! They look well used that's for sure.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

That MSD box looks so old, it will be awesome. I've heard (And seen) bad things about their new stuff.

If the 40's are legit, then run them as is. They are 1/3-1/2 the price of the italian carbs because they are orphans.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
mlracing
Datsun Dreamer

Post by mlracing »

Bartman wrote:That MSD box looks so old, it will be awesome. I've heard (And seen) bad things about their new stuff.

If the 40's are legit, then run them as is. They are 1/3-1/2 the price of the italian carbs because they are orphans.
They came straight off the L28 which was running mean etc so I guess will just give them a quick clean up and jam them on .. sometime in the distant future.

Only thing I'm not sure about is the choke setup, defo still want to run that if possible
mlracing
Datsun Dreamer

Post by mlracing »

Parts parts parts parts

Slowly I pick away and find things to buy to fix up the car, this morning a package arrived with Nissan OEM brake lines (seems like clutch lines are the same), Nissan OEM shift boot and also a rubber boot to go under it all as mine didn't really have one.

Immediately run into an interesting problem. There are two types of these rubber boots listed for Hakosuka depending on the year, I picked up the one which was suitable to my year but it seems like the shifter itself is in the wrong place. So that makes me wonder if the gearbox is not a Hako gearbox, could be from any number of Datsuns of similar vintage. Regardless I put the boot there and it's kind of just sitting as it is better than nothing.

This waas what was there before..

The shift boot looks cool! I just need to get a new chrome trim ring around the plastic where the shifter goes through. It looks like to get the boot to stay up it folds around that trim ring then the trim ring is screwed from below. I'm actually looking for a full new console as this one has cracks and various repairs etc out of it so not that great.
mlracing
Datsun Dreamer

Post by mlracing »

Turns out I'm just a retard and somehow got the wrong one despite the listing saying for my year of car grr >_<

Oh well, just ordered a bunch of other stuff too..
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

Unless they sent the wrong one by mistake, looking good, you're making progress.