B210 120y L series conversion

For all your general datsun ramblings
ThreeBlindNinjas
Regular

B210 120y L series conversion

Post by ThreeBlindNinjas »

Hey all,

I'm putting a L16 in to my 120y and have a couple of questions. Has anyone actually done this conversion? I have read online that it's possible, and read various parts lists, but I can't seem to find anything about the process other than if you use the right parts, it's all bolt in.

I have what is meant to be most of the bits and pieces required, so started getting into it.

First problem, the 510 (1600) engine cross member doesn't seem to just bolt straight in. I can find some clearance room using a grinder easily enough but is this the way its done? Cut, grind, & paint?

The 1600 cross member is supposed to bolt into the front set of holes. Photo is taken from underneath car. In the photo you can see where the old A series cross member was, and the front set of holes are. You can also see the interference issue between the very front cross member.

What's the good word, who's got the experience, or have I nominated myself to write the guide? :lol:
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Re: B210 120y L series conversion

Post by brocky41 »

Hey,

If you google 160Z the youll see that came factory with L16.

Ive heard that when guys do this conversion you need the 610 180B front crossmember and it bolts into a set of holes in there. Ive only heard and not tried.

Sing out on here for a spare front x member - and although the l16 is a revver i would be trying to find an L20B 2.0 4 cylinder and get you some torque .

Bart will tell you not to as he didnt get much of a power increase in a 310 sunny from memory after swaping from A series, but do what you want to - i put the CA18de in mine and got told wheres the turbo?? all the time lol.
b110sss
Datsun Dreamer

Post by b110sss »

Jump onto Datsun1200.com and ask the question.
I'm sure you will get all the info you need.
Cheers
Dave
ThreeBlindNinjas
Regular

Ok, searched at 1200.com and read even more info on the conversion. I Seems I will be cutting the front suspension mounting brackets for clearance. Here's a photo of one that's been done, somewhat crudely but I'm guessing still effectively.

I will have a 180b cross member tomorrow so I'll check that it doesn't fit better before cutting.

Here's the rest of the conversion. I'm not 100% if it's all going to work, but that should be most of what I need. I'm also converting from auto to manual... auto was never going to be an option!

tlssunny
Financial Member
aka: jesse

Post by tlssunny »

I really like this conversion, cant wait to see more progress shots. good work and keep it up
RDAP- Rakaia Datsun b310 Auto Parts
TLS- The Late Shift Restoration Services
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

I too like the direction you're heading with this
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

Hayden in Oamaru (BrnWgn) has had a lot to do with a certain L Series Powered 1200, could be good to talk with him.
All the best with this, I look forward to seeing next time on a Rakaia cruise
Datsuns from A to Zed
ThreeBlindNinjas
Regular

So I got into it a bit after work. I dropped the front suspension mounting points down, but left it hanging from the steering so I could check clearances.

I bolted in the 510 engine cross member, note the forward mounting holes.

Bolted on some engine mounts.

Time to test fit this beast. Right after I remove the gearbox...

And the engine is sitting in it's hole. The engine seems to sit forward a long way, I can see radiator issues... I will only know 100% if that's where the engine is meant to sit once the gearbox and driveshaft are in place. The steering turns lock to lock so that's a bonus, I do have the right sump.

Some decent progress today, with any luck I'll find time to get the gearbox bolted back up tomorrow and see how the gearbox cross member looks. I'm picking up a 180b in the morning that me and a workmate have gone halfs in to maybe pillage for parts, so I'll be looking at the mounts and cross members closely.
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

Wow, that sort of progress puts me to shame lol
ThreeBlindNinjas
Regular

Bolted the gearbox up this morning. I have used the short stumpy 4 speed which should work with the A series auto driveshaft... But it doesn't.

The driveshaft is about 2 and a bit inches short so I'm thinking that I can't use a 510 cross member. I have a feeling that the whole engine has to be shifted back in the engine bay. There's a heap of room, and it will only bring the gearbox mounts closer too.

Also picked up the 610 180b with my work mate this morning too. He's listed it for anyone needing parts on facebook in the Datsun Parts NZ group. It's rusty, and we are keeping the running gear, but the rest is probably available. With any luck, the 610 engine cross member will sort my issues out and move the engine back in the engine bay.