why it rules to own a datto..........

For all your general datsun ramblings
Bartman
Committee Members

why it rules to own a datto..........

Post by Bartman »

I took my 1200 out for a squirt today, to run the rings in. I went to the local BP to get a some 98 octane goodenss. At the same time I washed the windscreen and blew up the tyres.
While I was there, two dudes came up to me seperately, (one while I was paying for my gas, and one while I was checking the tyre pressures) and said "choice car mate"! (or words to that effect)
I gotta say it felt good! 1st time I've driven it since Brendan and I killed the motor in Feb too.
Not bad when you also consider that I can't even rememeber when it was last washed, and it doesn't really look that tidy anymore........
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
510BRE
Area Reps
aka: shane

Re: why it rules to own a datto..........

Post by 510BRE »

yeah i get the same problem in the bre waiting in line in wellington to catch the ferry to akaroa two guys come up take photos and chat get on ferry another three guys come look another photo and chat .on the way home had to laugh stopped at gas station filled car went in to pay waiting in line notice two guys running into forcourt towards car and whips out camera then there under neath and inside out im still waiting in line then they run back to where ever they come from :thumbsup: choice to own a datto
1972 r/h drive 2dr P510 sedan 98 sr20det in the build
1969 l/h drive 2dr PL510 sedan bre look alike
1972 r/h drive 4dr P510 sedan pretty standard
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Post by dirtyleppa »

thats awesome, you must of felt so stoked to hear that. bet it made your day
Rusty
Datsun Nutter
aka: Ryan

Post by Rusty »

Il love rocking up to a shop[ping car park and people twice the age of me coming up to car and admiring and most of the time they owned one back in the days.
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Post by brocky41 »

we scored a free pen from the MAF guy in picton waiting for the ferry! got the old "i used to have one of these back in the day"
mean free pen :highfive:
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

510BRE wrote:yeah i get the same problem in the bre waiting in line in wellington to catch the ferry to akaroa two guys come up take photos and chat get on ferry another three guys come look another photo and chat .on the way home had to laugh stopped at gas station filled car went in to pay waiting in line notice two guys running into forcourt towards car and whips out camera then there under neath and inside out im still waiting in line then they run back to where ever they come from :thumbsup: choice to own a datto
you have to expect it with your car though Shane. It's sex on wheels!
My 1200 is looking pretty sorry at the mo, so It was a nice suprise to get compliments about it. ( kinda motivation to do more to it :fire: )

Free pen FTW!
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
mint16
Financial Member
aka: Brendan

Post by mint16 »

i get my thrills when good looking girls say my 1200 ute is cute, maybe it would seal the deal if it had a back seat, or a mattress in the tray, or a better looking owner!
72 Datsun 1200 Wagon
86 Toyota AE85 Trueno 4AGE ITB
510BRE
Area Reps
aka: shane

Post by 510BRE »

Bartman wrote:
510BRE wrote:yeah i get the same problem in the bre waiting in line in wellington to catch the ferry to akaroa two guys come up take photos and chat get on ferry another three guys come look another photo and chat .on the way home had to laugh stopped at gas station filled car went in to pay waiting in line notice two guys running into forcourt towards car and whips out camera then there under neath and inside out im still waiting in line then they run back to where ever they come from :thumbsup: choice to own a datto
you have to expect it with your car though Shane. It's sex on wheels!
more to it :My 1200 is looking pretty sorry at the mo, so It was a nice suprise to get compliments about it. ( kinda motivation to do fire: )

Free pen FTW!
hey bart how is that beast goin by the way :fire:
1972 r/h drive 2dr P510 sedan 98 sr20det in the build
1969 l/h drive 2dr PL510 sedan bre look alike
1972 r/h drive 4dr P510 sedan pretty standard
Dattochriswagon
Datsun God

Post by Dattochriswagon »

I like it when im driving thru a car park and a cars goes to pull out in front of me and they take a second look at the rat ute and they say "Thats guys doesnt give two fucks about his car and he wont brake for me!"
Usually followd by me flicking the bird if they do lurch forward.
Haha
Looking forward to driving a tidy Datto!
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

510BRE wrote:hey bart how is that beast goin by the way :fire:

The new engine seems pretty sweet. But there are a few carby tuning issues to be resolved. The bloody thing didn't hwant to run at cruise throttle, but it loved to accelerate. I think thats becuase the carb is so big that at 50km/h the butterflys are open to little that the motor is only getting fuel from the tranfer slot. (Part throttle, or transition slot that supplies fuel between idle and the main circuit) When I pulled over to check the colour of the plugs, I richened up the idle mixture and it improved greatly. (the transfer slots are metered by the idle circuit screws)
Plus I'm only running very very little total advance atm too. But it still pulled well. I wasn't being too nasty to it yet though.
I did a few grunty pulls up a steep hill to try help the rings to bed in. I noticed the car didn't feel right. So I jacked up the left front wheel at a rest area and had a gander. Turns out the idler bush was had it. (ALL my 1200's have had this wear out) so I went straight home instead of fanging up gebbies pass. I'll show you that rd next time you're down. (bring a change of undies!)