sr20ve datsun 1600

For all your general datsun ramblings
datman310

Re: sr20ve datsun 1600

Post by datman310 »

Bartman wrote:yeah but even if you get a gold medal at the special olympics, youre still retarded! :P
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: GOLD
nzdatman
Financial Member

Post by nzdatman »

150kw atw from an S13 motor with mild cams and quad throttles? That's pretty amazing going, got any details/evidence?
I know of a standard internally S13 SR20DE that made just shy of 150 HP atw with quad throttles and a Motec, thought that was pretty good.
A DE would need pretty big cams to compare to the big lobes on a VE, and the VE head is supposed to flow better than DE. So for a DE with mild cams and mild headwork to match a VE with a Kelford modded head and cams would be an achievement, almost hard to believe. If true you would have to put the DEs power down to the throttle bodies, in which case imagine what the VE would make with quad throttles?
You should have bought it Nick. What sort of coin?
nick_m
Datsun Master
aka: Nick m

Post by nick_m »

Yeah you'd need more than mild cams to get 150kw at the wheels. Unless you find a very sympathetic dyno :)
To put it into perspective the high lobes on these cams are 314deg @.1mm valve lift.

I think the motor sold for $3750 or there abouts. believe me I wanted it bad.
It was a steal really. He said he added up the receipts and if he had of paid for all of it, it would have been over $10k. It didn't cost him that as he got alot of the labour sponsered but still would have been a pretty penny though.

I followed Clints progress with this motor and I reckon this motor would have woken up with a proper intake and exhaust manifold. If it was mine it'd definitely be gettting ITB's or a custom manifold and a nice stepped exhaust manifold.

And bart would never play the NA game he's to cheap! :)

How's your 16ve coming along?
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

[quote="Bartman"]yeah but even if you get a gold medal at the special olympics, youre still retarded! :P[/quote

He'd spent $10K on it you say? for that kind of coin you could have bought the motor that came out of the rayglass.
Which would you prefer........................................
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
nick_m
Datsun Master

Post by nick_m »

He didn't actually spend 10k cause he got labour sponsered since it was a develeopment motor. He's never told me the actual figure he spent on it. But yeah If someone just walked in off the street and paid to get one built from scratch it might end up costing that much. Most of that 10k would be labour, the actual cost of parts wouldn't be any more than a turbo motor. Pistons/rods/cams/a little headwork.

Rayglass motor in a datsun?
If so I'd still take the sr20ve. The ray glass motor would be fucking horrible to drive on anything but the drag strip. The power band would be nothing, nothing, nothing, oh wait i've just gone through two fences hit a tree and i'm now on my roof.

Anyway we'll agree to disagree. You can have your blown/turbo motor and i'll have my high revving NA.
nzdatman
Financial Member

Post by nzdatman »

you can't really compare the turbo engine from the rayglass datsun with the SR20VE here. I don't know what that engine sold for , but I bet it cost a bit more than $10K to build. You never get your money back. That's why the VE sold for well under half what it would have cost to build.
I'd rather have the VE too, for anything except drag racing.
My SR16 hasn't changed much, started welding up the plenum in a RWD configuration, got some toyota throttles but haven't started trying to fit them yet. Got some other datto issues to deal to before I get stuck into the SR16. Can't wait though!
nick_m
Datsun Master

Post by nick_m »

I bet, Should be pretty competitive in class too I reckon
mint16
Financial Member
aka: Brendan

Post by mint16 »

ill look up the emails from a few years back, the head and bottom end had some work done as well, the throttles were 50mm.
i was rather brief, i didnt mean JUST cams and throttle bodies haha!
72 Datsun 1200 Wagon
86 Toyota AE85 Trueno 4AGE ITB
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

nick_m wrote:Rayglass motor in a datsun?
If so I'd still take the sr20ve. The ray glass motor would be fucking horrible to drive on anything but the drag strip. The power band would be nothing, nothing, nothing, oh wait i've just gone through two fences hit a tree and i'm now on my roof.
Tim Sillay's FJ24 made 212hp. An n/a SR20 that pumps 201hp wouldn't be a 5 oclock traffic motor. Don't fool yourself there mate.

That said, mad props to the guys for making that much power. :beer:
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
nick_m
Datsun Master

Post by nick_m »

Yeah it is, its completely drivable it was in his daily driver for years.
Its a VE, so it has a hi and a low lobe. same as VTACK YO.
Low lobe nice and drivable, high lobe balls out. If brendan got 201 hp out of his s14 sr20de, then yeah he would get sick of driving it on the road for sure