Jeremy's 1965 Datsun Bluebird 410

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

Re: Jeremy's 1965 Datsun Bluebird 410

Post by jeremiahnz »

2 doors wrote:at least your not one of those dads that kids don,t get to see because dads always in the garage.
Totally agree. Don't care if it takes me 10yrs given the alternatives to get it done faster.

Got another couple of hours in today, just stripping more parts off. Unbolted everything from the gearbox, so that's all ready to come out next time my brother comes up (I can't be bothered doing it myself with a jack....)
Also found a 4afe ECU and loom on Trademe that I think I will grab to try to run the A15. If this works I will be using the 4afe dizzy as it has the CAS stuff for the ECU built in. I was planning on adapting this to the drive gear off the A15 dizzy, but figured the other day that I could actually run the dizzy straight off the end of the crank, or an accessory with a 1:1 drive pulley. May make life easier if the A15 dizzy drive gear proves to be a difficult way to go.
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

jeremiahnz wrote:Just realised that in the brakes section I put that I was using 240z brakes. In fact it is 280zx brakes and will try to get as close to the conversion described for the 510's in this article http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/arti ... rakes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hey, I've been thinking about what you've said here. The 280ZX's use a macpherson strut style front end, whereas the 410's use a transverse front leaf do they not? This will complicate the above conversion. (By comparison to the 510's)
The datsun B10's (aka the 1000) also use a transverse front leaf. The 1000 boys at datsun1200.com use a kit based around the C20 vannette brakes. Dattoman1000 (i think) was selling a kit to make them fit the 1000 stubaxle. I can't say that the 1000 stubaxle will be the same as yours, BUT I don't doubt that an adapter could be made to make it (Or something like it) work. Plus those 280ZX calipers are mad heavy.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

Post by jeremiahnz »

Bartman wrote: Hey, I've been thinking about what you've said here. The 280ZX's use a macpherson strut style front end, whereas the 410's use a transverse front leaf do they not?
Hey Bartman, from what I understand of the datsun 1000 transverse leaf setup, it is very different to the 410 setup. Check out my last pic on page 2 and you can see a bit of the coil setup. If you want I'll take a close up of the 410 setup for you.

I understand people have successfully adapted 510 disk brakes to the 410, and that people regularly upgrade the 510 brakes with the 280zx brakes so I am assuming it is possible to get the 280zx brakes to work on a 410 - that and the whole strut setup cost me $40 for the pair.

In regards to weight, it may be a bit on the heavy side, but after some of my experiences braking this car I am probably over compensating and going for overkill.
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Ah, I see. It's a double wishbone set up. Much better. Although it would likely be cheaper to adapt a later model style of nissan disk to it. The 280ZX brake disc rotors bolt to the back of the hub. So unless the 410 shares the same stube axle dimentions as the 280ZX, it would be significanlty easier to bin the drums, and turn down the wheel flange on the hub so that an S13 (Or similar) disc will fit over it. Then you'd just need to make a plate which bolts to the front drum backing plate holes, which you can affix your brake caliper to. Since atm you have a drum over your hub, fitting a disc over the top wont increase your front track width very much at all.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

Post by jeremiahnz »

Right, time for a quick update.

Got both the guards off thanks to lots of drilling and easy outs (they were really rusted). Also, got the bumpers off, the gearbox out and the driveshaft out. So figured it was time to set the drivetrain up so I could mount the A15. First issue was that the spline on the 410 and 411 driveshafts (which are different in their own right) do not fit an A series spline, so I got a B310 driveshaft which according to datsun1200 wiki is the longest driveshaft that has an A series spline and a H165 flange. Big thanks to Kitch for hooking me up for a good price and really quickly.

So that arrived this morning and I got measuring. Whilst I was expecting it to be a bit short from my initial measurements and reading lengths online, it is shorter then I expected. There is about 70mm difference between the original driveshaft and the B310 one. I was hoping any difference would be minor enought to offset by setting the engine slightly further back, however this is so much that it would mean I couldn't use the original gearbox cross member and mounts and the shifter would be a problem.

here are some pics for comparison

B310, 410, 411 driveshaft
SDC10804.JPG
Difference in length
SDC10805.JPG
With the spline end from the B310 on the standard driveshaft (if this is possible) I may be able to cut the difference down to 30mm, which I can hopefully account for by mounting the engine fuurther back without stuffing up too many other things
SDC10806.JPG
The 410 gearbox and the 60a are almost exactly the same length
SDC10807.JPG

So if anyone has any suggestions for making up the 70mm difference I am all ears. I know I can pay to get it lengthened but this looks expensive from what I've read. Is it possible to get spacers engineered and balanced for the diff end?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

Post by jeremiahnz »

Oh and BTW another new project arrived the other day weighing 8pounds1 and called Evelyn Rose. My garage time is nearing extinction... :)
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50
Mikewazowski
Financial Member
aka: Michael

Post by Mikewazowski »

I'm no expert but couldn't you get the b310 driveshaft lengthened and balanced? Not sure if that is an economical fix but it would give you the spline and length you are looking for wouldn't it?
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

Post by jeremiahnz »

Mikewazowski wrote:I'm no expert but couldn't you get the b310 driveshaft lengthened and balanced? Not sure if that is an economical fix but it would give you the spline and length you are looking for wouldn't it?
Yep, but it looks like that will cost around $300. Also read some stuff on the low volume site that suggested that the whole thing essentially had to be replaced as there can be no joins....

From the sounds of things shortening is much cheaper. Others with more experience can comment on this.

It almost sounds like it would be cheaper to but a longer driveshaft from any old vehicle and get the flanges stuck on it.

The only other thing I was wondering about was whether the driveshaft from a vanette could be used. Anybody got any ideas on this?
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50
Mikewazowski
Financial Member
aka: Michael

Post by Mikewazowski »

Hmm, yeah I thought that the cost might limit the usefulness of my idea :roll:
Was worth a shot :P
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

Post by jeremiahnz »

Mikewazowski wrote:Hmm, yeah I thought that the cost might limit the usefulness of my idea :roll:
Was worth a shot :P
always worth a shot :)

Cheers
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50