Jeremy's 1965 Datsun Bluebird 410

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Bartman
Committee Members

Re: Jeremy's 1965 Datsun Bluebird 410

Post by Bartman »

if you run the throttle body after the supercharger, and have no BOV, or WOT switch it WILL blow the hoses off when you go onto over run.
If the blower can take in air, it will pump boost. If it's pumping boost against a closed TB, the hoses will come off. it's that simple. If you run a BOV, all the air it pumps will go out the BOV and sound shit as.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

I think your confusing a BOV with a pressure relief valve
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Post by dirtyleppa »

sounds like a pressure relief valve to me bart. i was trying to think of an application where the TB was after the S/C but most EFI S/C setups are like that. hpw would they get around that problem?
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Toyota had the TB on the intake side of the supercharger.
Other car makers whos blowers aren't clutched, have a valve which allows the boost to pass back into the intake side.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

Post by jeremiahnz »

suberimakuri wrote: $300 sounds in the ballpark for them supplying new tube, as at 2004/5.
Sliding too much - interesting name. Sounds like someone I know....

Thanks for the good info. You can see the driveshaft in the picture with the shifter/butchered tunnel. It's prob about 50mm short, I have a spare driveshaft so will definitely end up going down this path.
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

Post by jeremiahnz »

Bartman wrote:Toyota had the TB on the intake side of the supercharger.
Yep. I was orignally going to take the factory approach but am instead looking to run throttle body after the supercharger. If I went factory I would likey look to run an ABV, which would either utilize the factory ABV or a BOV instead.

This will be for pressue relief given the positioning of the TB and supercharger.

How necessary it is will depend on how affective the clutch and TPS setup is.
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

Post by jeremiahnz »

torqued wrote:Reason for having a BOV and external wastegate on a supercharged motor?

Think you'd better read up how a supercharger works and what a BOV and External Wastegate does

I am aware how an external wastegate works when applied to the exhaust manifold on a turbo charger setup.

How well it works for what I'm looking to do may be a bit questionable, but it should be interesting to try. The net result of it not working is I have to replace a single piece of piping so not really a big issue.

As much as anything I am interested in seeing how well this is all going to work...
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

:? hMMMM... whats your idea?

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

Post by jeremiahnz »

torqued wrote::? hMMMM... whats your idea?
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

While that looks interesting what I am looking to do is much simpler.

I am looking to run a wastegate right before the throttle body and after the supercharger. It will have a 3.6psi spring so I can run boost as low as 3.6. I will then run an ebc so I can bleed off pressure to the wastegate actuator allowing me to run higher boost when wanted. Ultimately I want to end up with a pulley that will provide up to 8 to 10psi and then be able to run different boost settings depending on mood etc.

So that's the idea anyway. Not sure if it is a good one yet... Only time will tell I guess. Should be interesting anyway

sorry if this has lots of spelling or grammar issues. I am typing it on an iPhone...
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50
suberimakuri

Post by suberimakuri »

Standard 4agze setups have a big 'back off but keep accelerating' problem. It just gets worse as the setup makes more and more power.
In a race car I would avoid at all costs.
In a street car I would look at all options to avoid, like the poster. :)