nick and beccas latest addition to the datsun family

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
beccaroonie
aka: Becca

nick and beccas latest addition to the datsun family

Post by beccaroonie »

Most of you Chch people will have already seen it, but for the rest of you (we've been just a TAD slow at posting it on the tinternet), here's the latest addition to our datsun family.

A 1978 Datsun 120y Wagon.

We got this for the princely sum of $1000 with no reg/WOF :crazy: with the understanding it wouldn't get its WOF due to masses of rust.
Nick was going to dig into it one wknd to fix the rust, but when the piece of shit Honda failed it's WOF due to RUST, it was called into duty early.
Took it down for a WOF to see how bad this was looking (as we now had no daily) and managed to somehow get it through with only having to fix the rear break bias!!!!
It's in need of a good tidy up all round, quite a few dings as you can see in the pics, the rust will need sorting at some stage, interior needs a bit of work, needs new wheels/tyres and we will panel and paint eventually.
It also hasn't been without it's problems since we've had it...

- I had to walk halfway to work one morning as the heater hose decided to split and steam clean the distributor, grinding us to a HALT in the middle of Moorhouse Ave in peak hour morning traffic (after spending numerous days stumbling its way from Hornby to the city centre)... Thankfully it was only a block from Marks (Mr_President) work, so he came and rescued Nick and with a bit of a dry and a piece of tape Nick was only half an hour late for work.

- Two days later (yes, on the way to work - this time in peak hour morning traffic, sub zero degree temps, and in the middle of Blenheim Rd, the throttle cable decided to stick on one of the gear changes and yet again, we were sidelined for a while. This one was an easy fix though, we think the throttle cable just got a bit sticky in the cold temp so thankfully it hasn't presented itself again.

- Friday just been (peak hour evening traffic) we thought it would be wise to take an extended browse through Animates Pet Store as the y decided to overheat on the way home. Once it cooled and we put more water it, we eventually made it home in one piece. Looks like perished radiator hoses are the culprit for that one.

So HOPEFULLY, after replacing all the rubber in the cooling system we might not have any more of these delightful issues.
Other than that it runs and drives really smoothly and Nick looks like a grinning idiot (or grinning lumberjack - whichever you prefer) every time he drives it.

We forgot to get pictures when we first bought it (which is a bummer coz u would all be hanging out to see the sexy metallic blue grill it had :puke: ), so we have now skipped ahead and I've got some pics from the Hanmer Cruise (thanks Hayden) and the latest ones from this weekends work.

Hanging out in New World car park meeting site

A stop along the way - note how low it sits at the back, looks like we are ready for take off!!!

A couple of pics "on the move"

First things first, removed the grill and sanded then resprayed satin black.
Then this wknd we lowered the front end to get rid of the sunny bogan faction look and added the chin spoiler.
Took it for a run today and nearly killed ourselves since the wheel alignment was so badly out - so did a driveway wheel alignment and realised the toe was out 15mm after lowering!!!!!

She's now running smoother than a babys bum hahaha.

mint16
Financial Member
aka: Brendan

Re: nick and beccas latest addition to the datsun family

Post by mint16 »

hey hey dont be dissing the sunny bogan faction, sunny wagons dont sit high at the front like 120y's, plus sunny tophats give 120y's quick and easy lowering!!
72 Datsun 1200 Wagon
86 Toyota AE85 Trueno 4AGE ITB
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Post by dirtyleppa »

spoiler is really nice. i really want it. needs a tad more lowerage in the arse end
Dattochriswagon
Datsun God

Post by Dattochriswagon »

Jeez beccaspoony you actually sound like you know what you are talking about there. Aha just kidding.
This is truly a good little beast of a Datsun. I got to drive it back from Hanmer as Nick isnt as much of a man like me and was feeling sleepy after a big drinking session,And it drove mint all the way back.Should be even better once it gets the 5 speed innit.
And truly Badass with the Chin spoiler! Yay for Datsun!
Pretty sure that brings the Hornby Datsun faction to 10!
beccaroonie
aka: Becca

Post by beccaroonie »

bahaha ok ok, i admit - there were two things I had to ask Nick for... 1- "rear break bias" and 2- "toe", i didn't know the proper names alright!
i think i'm doing pretty good considering! anyway cripsticles be proud of me becoming knowledgable in the world of datsuns :thumbsup: it means you can say DAAAAAAAAMN more often!!!

i agree dylan, does need lowering slightly more on the ass end - Nick went and got prices today for some new lowering springs and shorter inserts for the front and we will probably lower the back once we get some new longer u-bolts.
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Post by dirtyleppa »

good to hear becs. nice to see you having a go at it yourself
nick_m
Datsun Master
aka: Nick m

Post by nick_m »

Dattochriswagon wrote:Jeez beccaspoony you actually sound like you know what you are talking about there. Aha just kidding.
This is truly a good little beast of a Datsun. I got to drive it back from Hanmer as Nick isnt as much of a man like me and was feeling sleepy after a big drinking session,And it drove mint all the way back.Should be even better once it gets the 5 speed innit.
And truly Badass with the Chin spoiler! Yay for Datsun!
Pretty sure that brings the Hornby Datsun faction to 10!
I had to I only got about 2 hours sleep coz it was about 40 degs in our bedroom (thanks mark! :D ) and becca chased me into the corner of the bed cause she's always cold!
was an awesome sleep in the y though.........
nick_m
Datsun Master
aka: Nick m

Post by nick_m »

Well as some of you will know this thing broke down again!!
The over heating episode Becca talked about above was the beginning of a blown head gasket.
It was mildly amusing driving everywhere with a massive white plume of steam trailing behind and steaming out intersections at the lights. It wasn't so amusing taking an hour an a half going from st albans to hornby stopping at every servo on the way to fill the radiator with water :D
We did make it home just, thats when I decided it was about time to replace the head gasket.........
So i've now done that and retightened the front wheel bearings as they were sloppy as and also put it back onto standard steels (thanks rob) as the car couldn't very nicely be driven above 70 kph with out a mad shake. Also meant I could get rid of the 6mm spacers in the front to (kind of) stop the tyre rubbing on the strut. Turned out the 13" toms wheels that were on it were buckled to shit (one of them had about 15mm buckle in it!!!!)
So it is finally driving nicely and giving me some semblance of reliability. it even made it all the way to Blenheim and back with out me needing to bust out the tools.
So things on the "short" list to do are

- Fix dash panel light as that has decided to stop working
- Place lh dash indicator bulb back in holder as its come out and makes the whole dash cluster blink\
- attach cigerrete lighter. We brought an FM transmitter for the trip up to Blenhiem to listen to iPod. Becca went to plug it in on the way out of town and pulled the ciggerette lighter out , along with the holder and everything. It didn't even have a wire connected!!! So I guess someone has disconnected it at some stage and just put it back in the hole ;D
- Tie rod ends will need replacing soon.
- Just been on ebay (damn you ebay) and brought a pair of new tail light lenses and a pair of new front indicators (2 pairs actually, got some for the 1200 too)
- Fit 5 Speed (just waiting on rob to get it out of the sunny, hint hint :D )

"long term list"
- Make some widened steels
- Pilfer sound deadening from work and make it super quiet
- fit extractors and bike carbs (to standard motor)
- new carpet
- fit new dash pad (thanks Blair!!)
- track down factory tacho for cheap enough

"wish list"
- ga16de with bike carbs and mega jolt mappable ignition (so I can ditch the dizzy)
- Fit 1600 IRS (definitely on the WISH LIST)
- Respray
- Suitably wide Jap rims.
Dattochriswagon
Datsun God

Post by Dattochriswagon »

Thats good news on the trip there and back without problems!
Also loving the wish list.
This is shaping up to be one cool 120y wagon!
Mikewazowski
Financial Member
aka: Michael

Post by Mikewazowski »

Love the wish list. IRS would definitly be for the win.