Tire tubes

all your DIY needs
agallagher
Regular

Tire tubes

Post by agallagher »

Was wondering if anyone on here has ever ran tubes in their wheels and if theyd had any problems with them?
I got these 3 peice volk wheels that have two back sides to make them wider but it was impossible to fit tires on them
so i had to pull them apart and fit the tire and tube then put them back together.
I hope i dont get a flat coz it takes ages to pull them apart.
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Re: Tire tubes

Post by classicdat »

The major problem with a tube is that when it is punctured it goes flat, sounds silly but often when a tubeless tyre is punctured the nail or what ever makes the hole stays in the hole and at worst you get a slow leak. With a tube the air comes out and fast, causing the tyre to deflate rapidly and sometimes running it flat destroys the side wall before the driver has a chance to react and stop.
Back in the day you could get tubeless tubes, not sure if they would work for you with your rim situation. The tube valve core fitted into the rim like a tubeless valve core, this meant if you ran up a curb on a rally stage the tyre wasn't pushed off the rim allowing the air to escape.
Other than that provided the tyres were clean on the inside and the rims a sweet you won't even know they are there.
Datsuns from A to Zed
z181200
Datsun Mad

Post by z181200 »

Put talcum poder all around the tube so it doesnt rub and pop.
fast4motion
Datsun Dreamer
aka: Brent

Post by fast4motion »

Are they the red 13" Volk's which were on Trade Me a few weks ago?

What was the issue with getting the tyres on? I'm guessing you couldn't pop them out to the rim bead? Did you try to do it yourself, or did a tyreshop?

I had a similar issue with some of my Simmons, but some determination, commitment, and ingenuity (mostly from my mate who owns a tyreshop) got them on.

Failing that, there's always lighter fluid and a match :fire:
agallagher
Regular

Post by agallagher »

Yea those are the wheels
they dont have the dip in the rim where the bead sits in when your fitting the tires,so the tire machine couldnt get the tire around the rim
very far before it got really tight and the bead wouldve broke if you kept going,the guys at the shop rekend you mite get a 60 or 70 profile tire
on them but i had 215/50 toyos and wasnt worth the risk trying ae
agallagher
Regular

Post by agallagher »

They look way better with gold centers I reken
fast4motion
Datsun Dreamer
aka: Brent

Post by fast4motion »

Yeah, gold looks heaps better.
Have you got them all bolted together with the tyres/tubes inflated? If so, I'm guessing (and hoping) you didn't try to put any sealant between the rims when you bolted them together.
I had some 100 spokes on a car awhile ago with whitewall tyres and tubes and didn't have any issues (I didn't even know they had tubes in them until I replaced the tyres).
agallagher
Regular

Post by agallagher »

Theryr all assembled and on the car now,and yea didnt see any point in sealing the to halfs together

I put locktite on all the bolts for a bit more insurance tho