1200 coupe z18et project

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
DylPhil7
Financial Member
aka: DylPhil

Re: 1200 coupe z18et project

Post by DylPhil7 »

hahaha sad guys! give him an alternative rather than put him down :roll:

I think tbqfh you need to spend $$$ on this part of your build, or wait until someone can do it properly. Its the best investment you will make really make (regarding the car)
datsunboy
Datsun God
aka: Dan

Post by datsunboy »

fair enough......alternative is to do it correctly with a soldering iron, and some form of good insulation...I use heat shrink, nice and tidy, easy and cheap.
1969 SSS Nissan Bluebird coupe
1970 Datsun 1600 - CA18DET - Sold!
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

yeah, sorry to dis man.
The drawback with choclate blocks is that the wire isn't protected and can oxidise, which can lead to bad connections. Plus they're really ugly. and the take up lots of space. (so if you tape up your loom to keep it neat you get a big lump where the block is)
If you use solder (with flux) and heat shrink sleeve, you can stagger the joins so you don't get a big lump where all the joins are, and your loom will look professional.
Most auto electric suppliers should be able to supply you with different coloured wire. Please don't use all one clour. There was a 1200 coupe on the very first akaroa cruise which had been wired in all one colour. The guy told me he was too scared to take it apart cos he'd never be able to make it run again.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
datsunboy
Datsun God

Post by datsunboy »

chock blocks also crush he copper wire all at a exact point, and when the wires move, they will always move at the same point, and eventually start to break the individual strands of wire, slowly causing problems until eventual complete failure of the joint.

chock blocks are ok for a temporary setup to get things working/testing e.t.c. in cars.....or as they are designed for....used in things that dont move around and vibrate all the time like houses e.t.c (unless you live in chch lol)
z18et1200coupe
Datsun Driver
aka: The shed

Post by z18et1200coupe »

haha really?! i wouldnt be using a chocklock anywhere visable, and it would only be in a dry place where you cant see it! under the dash is the only place i would use it, because they are a good way of labeling wires and keeping groups together in a tidy, understandable manner.. i would still be soldering all connections that would be visble..

the guy with the 1200 with all one colour loom probably didnt wire it himself.. and have it all labeled and recorded.. but i can see your point..

and the absolute LAST resort is paying a shop to do the wiring for me, one thing I cant stand is "doing up a car" but except your just paying someone to do it up for you..

and i have a couple of mates which are very electrically minded!

and if i still cant get anything working by myself i'll take it to my old work and get my old boss to help me out with it..

haha cheers for the input anyway, its always good to have others opinions, even if it is negative haha!
1976 NA Lancer
1980 Starlet Bugeye (60,000 genuin k's)
1979 Starlet Bugeye
1974 ke25 coupe
1972 1200 coupe z18et
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

Call it constructive criticism, probably from those who have gone before and experienced the frustration later on. I know I'm one, my car is wired with good quality black cable, everything black, if I could do it over I'd spend a little more $$$ for coloured cables and make it sooo much easier later on. Just my 2c worth, not a judgement, just my experience.
Datsuns from A to Zed
Mikewazowski
Financial Member
aka: Michael

Post by Mikewazowski »

Labels can fall/wear off. Documentation is useful but only if it stays with the car and doesn't get misplaced.

I know wiring up my engine would have been a nightmare if all the wires were black. It was bad enough with all the different colours. :lol:
datsunboy
Datsun God

Post by datsunboy »

z18et1200coupe wrote:and i have a couple of mates which are very electrically minded
then surely they would be telling you not to use chock blocks aswell?
I'm not concerned with the visual aspects of chock blocks.....Im saying dont use them anywhere in your car.

If you want to have a convenient way to disconnect parts of your wiring, then use plugs.
you can buy multi-pin plugs similar to that used factory, and use them that way.
especially if youre saying your already going to solder joints elsewhere? why not do it everywhere?

it's not negative feedback (hope it doesnt seem that way), its more of experienced advice.
DylPhil7
Financial Member
aka: DylPhil

Post by DylPhil7 »

datsunboy wrote:
z18et1200coupe wrote:and i have a couple of mates which are very electrically minded
then surely they would be telling you not to use chock blocks aswell?
I'm not concerned with the visual aspects of chock blocks.....Im saying dont use them anywhere in your car.

If you want to have a convenient way to disconnect parts of your wiring, then use plugs.
you can buy multi-pin plugs similar to that used factory, and use them that way.
especially if youre saying your already going to solder joints elsewhere? why not do it everywhere?

it's not negative feedback (hope it doesnt seem that way), its more of experienced advice.
:agree: Sounds best Jordan imo
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

Here is another jumping on the please dont do it bandwagon.

Use different colours, use solder and heat shrink and NEVER use a chock block. I just had to go onto a friends boat and rewire all the lights etc because at some point in the not so distant path a friend had wired it all up neatly with chock blocks and things slowly ferked out. Some were corroded, some when they had been slightly tugged got loose and failed etc. I rewired all the lights and soldered everything, used heat shrink and its all working perfect again.

If your mates tell you using chock blocks is OK then they are not very electrically minded at all lol.

Diff coloured wires (red, black, yellow, orange, blue, green brown. That should be sufficient lol).

Were all trying to help :D
My orangatang 510 here.