Cutting and dicing the A series

all your DIY needs
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

Cutting and dicing the A series

Post by jeremiahnz »

Hi Guys,

Just looking at my A15 conversion into my Datsun 410, and I need more space to get either the supercharger or alternator where I want it.

If I can trim the block breather pipe and the water inlet this would help. Has anyone cut these down before? Any issues or advice?

The cooling inlet on the a15 has two small inlet/outlets and one large one. I have never had a complete A15 so can someone confirm if the two small inlet/outlets are to/from the heater and a water choke on the carb? This is my guess but could be totally wrong.

To maintain flow to the heater I was looking to use one of those water temp gauge sender adapters but instead of putting a gauge sender where you typically would, I was going to get a screw in fitting from someone like Ash Air.

Thanks in advance for any info
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Re: Cutting and dicing the A series

Post by classicdat »

You are on the right track with the heater pipe, but you may consider flow, having it on the inlet causes circulation so you may want to use a set up like the B110 1200 which had a junction into the bottom hose. Someone posted a J spec Sunny race car on here recently with the inlet cut back really short, hose went right to the block, no problems with shortening it as far as I can see.
One model of a series also had a short right angled breather, may have been a van I think, these breathers are only push fit so are easy to remove and modify.
Datsuns from A to Zed
Godzilladat
Datsun Nutter

Post by Godzilladat »

Just cut off a few cylinders

jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

Post by jeremiahnz »

thanks for the replies
classicdat wrote:use a set up like the B110 1200 which had a junction into the bottom hose.
Yeah that is what I was looking to do with the heater, utilizing a water temp gauge adapter.

Are the water inlet and the block breather pipes steel? I presume I will need to weld a collar around it to keep the hoses on?
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

Post by jeremiahnz »

Godzilladat wrote:Just cut off a few cylinders
Now that just may work. Got any more pics?
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Yes they are steel.
I've run cut down ones without adding a rib of any kind to help keep the hoses on. So long as your hoses are in good nick, and your hose clips are the correct size and in decent condition.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

Is that a front dizzy or mid dizzy, it looks like a mid oil pump.
Datsuns from A to Zed
DAT620
Datsun Driver
aka: J

Post by DAT620 »

classicdat wrote:Is that a front dizzy or mid dizzy, it looks like a mid oil pump.
Its a front dizzy, the backs been chopped off, you can see the plate at the back goes all the way up to the back of the head. Its really cool, I heard about a guy who did this to a mini A series and got over 100 horse with it, not bad for 500cc considering the stock 1000cc only has about 80 hp from the beginning.
No matter where you go, there you are.