1973 Datsun 140j rebuild

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Lang Inder
Financial Member

Re: 1973 Datsun 140j rebuild

Post by Lang Inder »

Got more painting done, front wheel arches are all white now and look pretty good, also got the inside of one door and the inside of the boot lid painted so i could bolt them back on for the last time.
100_0275.jpg
Also test fitted one of my struts to see what i would look like
100_0274.jpg
Since then i have put the old front suspention back in to get it rolling (don't want over spray on my new stuff) then put the rear on stands and dropped the rear diff and springs out, and got some luck, the bushes i ordered that turned out to be 180b rear trailing arm bushes are the same as 140j spring eye bushes!

How do you go about re-setting leafs? where do you get it done and how much?

And what sort of diff upgrades are available to these solid rear ends?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1973 Datsun 140j, Completed project
2x1972 Datsun 1200 B110 Coupe
1979 Datsun 280zx, targa top, 68.000 genuine km
2x1982 Datsun 180sx
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

You give your leaves to a spring maker, and they reset them for you.
I wouldn't have a clue who does that down your neck of the woods, But belemy and east do it in chch.
I dunno about your 140, but on 1200's it's often done to reverse the eyes on the leaves so that the spring retains is "eliptical" shape. Leaves that are just flat don't work very well in my experieince.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
Lang Inder
Financial Member

Post by Lang Inder »

Bartman wrote:You give your leaves to a spring maker, and they reset them for you.
I wouldn't have a clue who does that down your neck of the woods, But belemy and east do it in chch.
I dunno about your 140, but on 1200's it's often done to reverse the eyes on the leaves so that the spring retains is "eliptical" shape. Leaves that are just flat don't work very well in my experieince.
what does it usually cost for a pair?
1973 Datsun 140j, Completed project
2x1972 Datsun 1200 B110 Coupe
1979 Datsun 280zx, targa top, 68.000 genuine km
2x1982 Datsun 180sx
nick_m
Datsun Master
aka: Nick m

Post by nick_m »

think its normally around $200 from memory. Thats to reset your standard leaves however low you want. EG 2 inches lower
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Post by brocky41 »

Good work - B and E are the ones to go to here for spring resetting - is much better than blocks imo.

This thing will be super sweet when done.
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

I just missed you at Garry's before Christmas, maybe next time I'm about I'll get organised first, would be good to meet you and catch up. I had my springs done in Dunedin By Brown and Cope Back in the day, not sure if they are still around, they were on McClaggin St. Not sure of any of the spelling.
Datsuns from A to Zed
Jaimesix
Regular

Post by Jaimesix »

Very nice work. Congratulations.

One question. I am finishing my 610/180B hardtop restoration. Soon after my 710 will follow. I am looking for those rubber trim that go in that panel by the headlamps, once the wing/fender is installed, works as a buffer between the inner wing/fender and that piece to the outside of both head lamp assemblies.

Also, what material did you use for the tail light rubber gaskets? My lamp gaskets looks cooked.

Here is a photo of my 710.

Cheers.
Lang Inder wrote:Got more painting done, front wheel arches are all white now and look pretty good, also got the inside of one door and the inside of the boot lid painted so i could bolt them back on for the last time.
100_0275.jpg
100_0274.jpg
Since then i have put the old front suspention back in to get it rolling (don't want over spray on my new stuff) then put the rear on stands and dropped the rear diff and springs out, and got some luck, the bushes i ordered that turned out to be 180b rear trailing arm bushes are the same as 140j spring eye bushes!

Datsun 610/180B
Datsun 710/140J (L20B)
Mazda RX7 FD.
Suzuki Samurai/Sierra.
Honda CB750F DOHC..
Jaimesix
Regular

Post by Jaimesix »

LOL. For some reason when I quoted Lang Inder's photo, it did not appear.

Here it is, the rubber part I was talking about.

:popcorn:
Datsun 610/180B
Datsun 710/140J (L20B)
Mazda RX7 FD.
Suzuki Samurai/Sierra.
Honda CB750F DOHC..
Jaimesix
Regular

Post by Jaimesix »

Lang Inder wrote:Got more painting done, front wheel arches are all white now and look pretty good, also got the inside of one door and the inside of the boot lid painted so i could bolt them back on for the last time.
100_0275.jpg
100_0274.jpg

Howzit.

About the rear leaves, the 1st step I would take ( did it on my former 120Y and now in my 710) is to de camber the leaves. A spring shop, any spring shop that works with truck springs ( heavy trucks , all have springs ) can do it.

You take your springs to the shop and they will eliminate the camber/curvature that the springs have, making them flat and also strenghtening the leaves.

Reversing the eyes is good if you want to go lower than what you will get with the decambering process. You can do it all at once. If it goes too low for your taste, use blocks to raise it. If you go 1st with the decambering, you can then reverse eyes or use small blocks to lower it more.

Adding good shocks ( I got Koni units in the rear of the 710 ) and a sway bar will add the cherry on the cake.

I got ADDCO sway bars ( front and back.) Work great. Like night and day. Cornering ability and cornering comfort are enhanced tremendously. No more granma's matress feeling. It is more formula one feeling, great.

:beer:
Datsun 610/180B
Datsun 710/140J (L20B)
Mazda RX7 FD.
Suzuki Samurai/Sierra.
Honda CB750F DOHC..
kobyn
Datsun Mad

1973 Datsun 140j rebuild

Post by kobyn »

Nice work had 2 go read from the start very good

Sent from my iPhone touch using Tapatalk