TUFDAT Datsun 120Y - Now in Hibernation.

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
DJZ
Datsun God

Re: Lisa and Brockys TUFDAT 120Y

Post by DJZ »

I work next door to HBI :) I saw the mighty yellow beast coming in and out of the car park.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
atchernv
Regular

Post by atchernv »

Mint ride - just wondering where you acquired the rear window louvre from, would love to get one for my 120y also
Datsun-less
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Post by brocky41 »

Gday dude - i got this one given to me by my mates grandad thats into his datsuns.

Im sure you can still get them in AUS and they also do venetians

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DATSUN-120Y- ... _500wt_715" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
brocky41
Financial Member

Post by brocky41 »

Next mods on the list for Tufdat -

-Dyna Mat and Carpet
-Strut brace - (modding an r33 one)
-Recaro fishnets (thanks to chris' Bighorn mate)
-Surge Tank - (thanks John (Broke) for modding is up)
brocky41
Financial Member

Post by brocky41 »

Heres the new Extractors - Barts got dibs on the set i dont use, and a pic of the strut brace

brocky41
Financial Member

Post by brocky41 »

So the Y spat the dummy at the supermarket - died just going into a park - had to get towed by "Broke" home with the 620 using a small tie down which snapped once (terribly embarrassing in traffic)

Blew a 2nd VL commy (2nd hand) fuel pump so had to fit up the surge tank iv had for ages.

Got a new External Pump and Lift pump from work - all Airtek items - The Vl one is the one listed for Vectras and some Alfa's too.
Decided to filter the fuel from the tank, then into the lift pump, up to fill the Surge tank. I have then mounted a Subaru filter (that i had the bracket for of the WRX STI i wrecked out) to filter the fuel from the surge before the External pump. This will hopefully help keep the pumps in good shape for alot longer. (still running a filter before the engine so TRIPLE FILTERS - what does it mean!!)

Wired it all up and took it for a strop - has never run better.

And also both pumps are very quiet - normally the lift/facet pumps are noisy but these are not - cant here running when car is idling even without back seat.

heres the pics

brocky41
Financial Member

Post by brocky41 »

Gee i havent posted in this thread for a while - Y is again currently off the road - trying to get all the stuff done before the Southern Cruise.

So far ive got it up in the air and the Gearbox out (2nd one to chew bearings due to poor rear gearbox seal)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Got the Turbo box from the 200sx i wrecked out before moving to CHCH going in with new front and rear seals (GENUINE - thanks Scott) and the short shifter fitted. I'm hoping like hell this gearbox is ok.

Also got a new rear main seal from BNT along with some Redline MT90 to go in the box - is an API 1-4 rating as API-5 has some sulphur agent in it that will wear syncros etc (read on the bottle and online)

Next is the front brakes - I have the new rotors which i got a while ago before leaving BNT - getting some new wheel bearings tomorrow - only need the roller part as the shells come already installed in the discs.

Also need new front pads and wheel bearing seals so will sort those tomorrow too.

More stuff to come yet as i stocked up b4 leaving BNT :D :D
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

just a thought on the gearbox rear seals, hows the angle of the driveshaft to gearbox? if its on too much of an angle it can thrash the driveshaft and spoil the seal.
brocky41
Financial Member

Post by brocky41 »

I had thought of that but doesnt look to bad - there was no listing on seals at bnt for the rear box seal but realised this time i had used a honda engine one and their engines spin the other way so was just throwing oil out instead of keeping it in.
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

Would that mean that the one I got from you a while back is also a Honda one???????