Concerns with Cert.

all else goes here...
nick_m
Datsun Master
aka: Nick m

Re: Concerns with Cert.

Post by nick_m »

I dont have a problem with it, I do have a problem with the +0.5 deg outside factory specs. Whats wrong with saying ok no more than 2deg front and 1 deg rear or something. When your standard wheel alignment specs for a 70s car are 1 deg positive camber and youve just put a turbo motor in it, I would want at least to be allowed to run a little negative
I do agree that this mad stretch max camber deal has got a bit out of hand
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Post by dirtyleppa »

i would imagine that the end result would be up to the certifier at the tome of getting cert. i dont think they would really worry if your factory shit box car has gone from +3degrees down to maybe -1degree. it can only be safer in the long run. all we can do is take it and see how the rule plays out in the long term
Dattochriswagon
Datsun God

Post by Dattochriswagon »

Shit Bart. Thats all a bit rich for you. Considering none of your cars have Cert. The 1200 would be the most unsafe car i know of. Espically in the early days when you had factory brakes.
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

Bartman wrote:But remember that the new rule is in it's infantcy. So the current rule is the best practice as at the moment.
Rome wasn't built in a day.
Sucks to be going for a cert at the moment then.

The rule makers continually bring in rules that penalise the honest and the others don't abide any way.

This sort of thing isn't limited to cars, my garage has about doubled in price because DIY has effectively been ruled out. Nation of the number 8 wire mentality, no longer, nation of 'the guy' Pay your money and get 'the guy' to do it.
Datsuns from A to Zed
datsunboy
Datsun God
aka: Dan

Post by datsunboy »

Slow down there Chris....none of your cars have cert either yet. There's nothing that unsafe about barts car. Bart makes a valid point that I and others will agree with.
The factory +0.5 is obviously crap....but likely they will refine it to something reasonable like a maximum degree. And then at least there is a rule to stick to, rather than the discretion of the certifier.
But yeah obviously until they refine that rule, it's not a great time to be going for cert lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
1969 SSS Nissan Bluebird coupe
1970 Datsun 1600 - CA18DET - Sold!
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

I do have a problem with it. Mainly because I own 3 cars (C32 Laurel hardtop, MA61 Celica XX, 510 SSS) which would all run foul of this regulation as it stands simply by fitting lowered springs.

The MA61 in particular, now I admit I don't actually know what the factory camber setting is, but in the rear they get over 3 degrees negative when lowered. Which is fine IMO, the toe is adjustable and it doesn't make the car an oversteering pig to drive. My old 510 looked about 2 degrees negative in the rear to my eye when it was lowered also. The C32, well, I imagine it would be a similar situation.

Now in all 3 cases, lowering the car using proper lowered springs is effectively illegal. Sure, I could go out and buy an expensive camber correction kit, why should I? It seems pretty obvious that this law is targeted at the shakotan boso JDM-yo hellaflush fatlace whatever crowd, and just an opportunity for overzealous law enforcement/WOF and cert Nazis to write cars like ours off the road, while idiots with barely functioning standard brakes and suspension are free to run around with the cheapest, hardest Chinese tyres on their cars which haven't had a wheel alignment in 15 years without fear of prosecution.

Look at all the lowered VT Commodores and such with negative camber in the rear. Do you think these will be targeted? Of course not! This is clearly aimed at modified old school cars, because we're an easy target, meanwhile because the V8/street machine/hot rod crowd have a powerful lobbying ability they are allowed to do lots of stuff that negatively affects their vehicles handling on the road, heavily shortened diffs, big gumballs on the back with skinny front tyres, raked suspension, no front guards etc. Just look at the average T bucket.

If they really wanted to be reasonable about this issue they would make the rule something like "No modification of suspension arms to achieve greater negative camber than standard" or "negative camber increase allowed only where overall roadholding is still increased compared to standard vehicle" or something along those lines.

And like I said on James' thread, look at the big picture... this is just one more stepping stone on the path to totally outlawing modified cars in general.
Last edited by broke on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

classicdat wrote:
The rule makers continually bring in rules that penalise the honest and the others don't abide any way.

This sort of thing isn't limited to cars, my garage has about doubled in price because DIY has effectively been ruled out. Nation of the number 8 wire mentality, no longer, nation of 'the guy' Pay your money and get 'the guy' to do it.
:agree:
Dattochriswagon
Datsun God

Post by Dattochriswagon »

Barts 1200 has always been apparently unsafe. And it does require cert as the Hp has increased over 20%. Different gearbox.Brakes.
I know my only car has not got cert but it is something ive been working towards the whole time.Ive talked to Wayne personally about a dozen times before doing anything to my car to check if it is alrite. The car has never been driven on the road yet and will only be test driven once befroe going for cert. I justthink Barts statement doesnt align wiht what he actually does. And as the President of our club he should ensure his car is the legal one on cruises otherwise how are you meant to enforce rules and set standards otherwise
disruptiv

Post by disruptiv »

Dattochriswagon wrote:Barts 1200 has always been apparently unsafe. And it does require cert as the Hp has increased over 20%. Different gearbox.Brakes.
I know my only car has not got cert but it is something ive been working towards the whole time.Ive talked to Wayne personally about a dozen times before doing anything to my car to check if it is alrite. The car has never been driven on the road yet and will only be test driven once befroe going for cert. I justthink Barts statement doesnt align wiht what he actually does. And as the President of our club he should ensure his car is the legal one on cruises otherwise how are you meant to enforce rules and set standards otherwise
Any motor swap that increases HP by 1% needs cert
datsunboy
Datsun God
aka: Dan

Post by datsunboy »

Speaking of cert Chris, you're loom is done. I've gone over every single wire to check it off on the wiring diagram.
It's ready for you to pick up when you have that money you owe me.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
1969 SSS Nissan Bluebird coupe
1970 Datsun 1600 - CA18DET - Sold!