A12 overheating

all your DIY needs
beaver
Datsun Nutter

A12 overheating

Post by beaver »

Right, I have one a12 engine which like to get very hot very quickly.

Water use is minimal (in the time it takes to get hot (as in stop diring its too hot hot) which is say 10mins of driving, will happily idle at halfway on the gauge for ever and ever and not use water).

Radiator has been flushed (with a hose haha) and returned all matter of brown particles and crud.

When reved with the cap off water appears to be moving around suggesting the water pump is working (in one way or another).

No change in behavoiur with or without a thermostat (which was opening and closing as expected).

Suggestions? Ideas?

Can radiators be tested? or not worth the effort? Should I whip the waterpump off and see what it looks like? Is it a possible BHG? Havnt dropped sump/oil but dipstick shows no water, and there is no visible evidence of oil in the water.
mint16
Financial Member
aka: Brendan

Re: A12 overheating

Post by mint16 »

A blockage somewhere.
Had this problem with an A14 in a 1200 ute, had a blocked radiator.
Its worth getting radiator professionally flushed/cleaned and tested.
72 Datsun 1200 Wagon
86 Toyota AE85 Trueno 4AGE ITB
beaver
Datsun Nutter

Post by beaver »

yeh thats seems to be the verdict. Going to whip it out and take it into the radiator shop tomorrow and tell them to do what needs doing. have ordered new thermostat and water pump as well, seemed silly not to.
hsepwr
Datsun Nutter
aka: Craig

Post by hsepwr »

If the radiator is blocked then it really should be rodded also to do the job properly. I had the same problem with my L series and all seemed fine but still got really hot, Got it rodded and was mint but it wasnt cheap
I REAKON THE WORD CANT MEANS CANT BE FU%&#CKED
darrenwilson
Datsun Driver

Post by darrenwilson »

Maybe you could use some collant when you put it back up. ;)
Long Live Datsun 1200

Check out my thered>> http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2127" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;