datsun conversion

For all your general datsun ramblings
datsun2012
aka: auckland

datsun conversion

Post by datsun2012 »

hey guys im new to this and was just wanting to know what would be good to put in my datsun? at the moment im saving up to do an engine conversion, for either an sr20det setup or if i could a ca18et setup, if any one could help me on my way would be a great help ;) oh btw my datsun is stockstandard running an l20 4 cylinder, shes red/orange has the square head lights pre tidy, wanting to know if anyone could help a newbie out ;) cheers guys. J
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Re: datsun conversion

Post by classicdat »

Welcome aboard, There will be plenty of opinion and advise on the site I am sure, and I hope you have much enjoyment out of your Datsun. To give more info it may be helpful if you give a bit more detail, colour is good, but model could help also, I'm guessing it is either a 810 or 910, or maybe even a 720, Got some pics, would be good to start a build thread.
As I said, welcome to the site, hope you find it helpful, we are all about enjoying our Datsuns! :D
Datsuns from A to Zed
datsun2012

Post by datsun2012 »

1979-80 Nissan Datsun four door. Was originaly blue but was repainted red/orange. hope this helps, looking for any help i can get for an engine conversion. Was looking on trade me at the nissan sr20d engine's, theyer cheaper and within my price range, how hard would it be to turbo it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Post by dirtyleppa »

that looks like a 200b if im correct. as for doing the engine swap. best bet would be to get a naturally aspirated sr20 and gearbox and fitting it. whatever coin you got left can go into fitting it, doing exhaust, radiator and cooling, wiring etc. and if there is anything after that, then maybe look at putting a turbo on it
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

Keep it L
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
datsun2012

Post by datsun2012 »

Does anyone have an l20det??? I'm real keen for that!!!
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Post by dirtyleppa »

dont waste your time. they only have about 40hp more than a standard L series. and they would be way heavier to
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

The SR20de is a better engine than the L20B IMO.
The good news is, that if your engine is in good cond, the L20B will have decent resale value.
So you'll need,
An Engine and gearbox,
A wiring loom, and ECU.
Airflow meter

DO NOT buy an engine from a front wheel drive car. The Frontwheel drive SR20's don't bolt up to the rear wheel drive gearboxes.

You'll need to have the engine and gearbox mounted in the car, Have the driveshaft altered to suit. The wiring loom will ned to be spliced into the factory loom. I think you need to have the water neck shortened up a bit too. You may also need to have the necks on the radiator changed to suit the engine if they're different.

If you want to add a turbo to a DE engine, best to check out the silvia forums.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
datsun2012

Post by datsun2012 »

Oh I thought the l20det's from the old school skylines?/240z's where pretty good? I mean I don't want to go too overboard, Im only 21 lol, pre lame excuse, but I'm pretty much on minimum wage lol. A mate of mine said if I could get an l20det the 6 cylinder ones theyed be pretty good, possibly a weekend swap???

But the sr20de seems pretty good, by what I've read they seem like the best option, if I did put an sr20 in would i have to change much to the engine mounts? I know I will, but would the old crossmember be able to hold the weight? And I AM SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING THE SR20de!!! Ill need help from other members on tips for when I put it in. :) all my savings here on out are going on my dato!!' :)
datsun2012

Post by datsun2012 »

Oh btw, I've only been in Nz for 1 year lol. My first engine conversion was on a starlet ep70, swapped it to a 4efte, she was pretty quick for what she was. Got rid of her though :(, swapped for the DATSUN! :) and I'm proud I did :) and I usually only work on bikes as I'm from Rarotonga, rebuilt xr's n whatnot :) have a few mates that helped me out and now Theyer real keen to help do the dato up:)