datsun conversion

For all your general datsun ramblings
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Re: datsun conversion

Post by torqued »

Fyi the l20s are Sohc not Dohc :smile:

And what's with all the Lseries hate. I wish there were more old school cool about
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
Lang Inder
Financial Member

Post by Lang Inder »

datsun2012 wrote:Oh I thought the l20det's from the old school skylines?/240z's where pretty good? I mean I don't want to go too overboard, Im only 21 lol, pre lame excuse, but I'm pretty much on minimum wage lol. A mate of mine said if I could get an l20det the 6 cylinder ones theyed be pretty good, possibly a weekend swap???

But the sr20de seems pretty good, by what I've read they seem like the best option, if I did put an sr20 in would i have to change much to the engine mounts? I know I will, but would the old crossmember be able to hold the weight? And I AM SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING THE SR20de!!! Ill need help from other members on tips for when I put it in. :) all my savings here on out are going on my dato!!' :)
thats no excuse, im only 17 haha
1973 Datsun 140j, Completed project
2x1972 Datsun 1200 B110 Coupe
1979 Datsun 280zx, targa top, 68.000 genuine km
2x1982 Datsun 180sx
datsun2012
aka: auckland

Post by datsun2012 »

Oh cool :) well I'm def gonna go ahead with the conversion :)

Oh I dont hate the L series engine, If I could I would like to put the L20det in :) I'm not really into the whole power and speed thing, I just wanted the Datsun to be a little bit quick and have a bov with a slight boost :). But if no one has the L20det and from what I understand they are hard to come by, so sr20de will have to be the go :) and probably turb it later :)
datsunboy
Datsun God
aka: Dan

Post by datsunboy »

FYI... it's called a L20ET... not a det.
There's a LD20ET... but that's a diesel

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
1969 SSS Nissan Bluebird coupe
1970 Datsun 1600 - CA18DET - Sold!
torqued
Datsun God

Post by torqued »

There is also a l20a and a l20b.
But that's a story I'll save for when your older

Was there a factory turbo option of the L20b?
datsun2012

Post by datsun2012 »

damn i forgot i was keying it in wrong :/ l20et was what i meant, pre hard going onto the site on a phone while at meetings lol...

all in all i just want somthing that someone could help me put it in her (datsun) not physically just some guys that have been there and know what would be better to do!!! I really want a z18et, or a ca18det, or if there was a turbo set up for the L20 4cylinder id go for that, or if anyone had one lying around id be keen for a L20et. i have a 254 v8 in the garage, and my brother offered me a 308 but im not game!!! want to at least keep it NISSAN! ;)
unlimitedpower
Datsun Mad

Post by unlimitedpower »

I think but could be wrong that the cross member is the correct way around to suit an SR on a 200B
So should basicly just drop on. I think you can space up one side to get it sitting just as it was in the silvia it came from.

Then you'll need to make a bit of a gearbox mount up. This won't be hard for someone who knows how to use a grinder and a mig welder.
Even if you just tack up what you need and take it to a shop to get finished off nice and strong. May need a little chopping for gear stick to fit.

Next up get your length for your drive shaft and have it shortened down. You may need yoke from a siliva box im unsure.

Fit a mechanical speedo drive these can be found in some S13 gearboxs and lots of other Nissan gearbox round the early 90s etc. You will need to pop the little gear off the end of your current speedo drive in your L series box and fit that to the mechanical drive (then your speedo will be correct).

After that comes plumbing and wiring. Theres quite a few people round now that can chop up a silvia loom so it runs on just a +ve and ignition feed.
Hell i did it and im a builder by trade. So give it a go. Just read read and more reading and start looking at things logically.

Pretty simiple in theory but i promise you'll encounter little headaches along the way.

Once you get the engine ready to drop in post up any questions you have step by step along the way and we will all happily help out where we can.
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Post by dirtyleppa »

not hating on L series adam. i think the L20et is an all right motor, just not a great motor for a transplant.

the reason i say this the the length and weight of them. for the amount of power they have, they are not worth the hassle. a sr20de probably has the same or more horsepower and should be alot lighter and smaller. and there are heaps around. L20et are getting hard to come by
torqued
Datsun God

Post by torqued »

dirtyleppa wrote: L20et are getting hard to come by
I have 4 :lol:
datsun2012

Post by datsun2012 »