ideas on sound deadener?

all your DIY needs
project_1200_ute
Datsun Dreamer

ideas on sound deadener?

Post by project_1200_ute »

hay fellas making some big progress on ute real soon getting the whole interior done
just wondering what i should chuck on the floor sound deadener wise? or if i should

driving 4speed over 80ks and u cant even have a conversation with the person next to you 5 inches away was always part of the character i thought so bit unsure

i know how to apply the stuff being a panelbeater and all but have only really copied factory look, i dont have a clue as to how much to use etc either

itl be getting new carpet and some sort of underlay but should i use dynamat or something too? or will i kill the screaming awesomeness of dellortos? thoughts?
unlimitedpower
Datsun Mad

Re: ideas on sound deadener?

Post by unlimitedpower »

I just covered the fire wall and full floor in dynamat. Then ran out need to buy more to do doors and the rear fire wall i haven't built yet.
The stuff is very expensive i'll be looking at prob $700 worth of dynamat int there (actually will prob have a couple sheets left over might do double layers or give it to my mate for his RX3). But ive spent shit loads else where so figured why stop now.

Dynamate is a bit of a bitch in the tight curvy places it would be a better product if it was more flexible and stickier. So may be worth looking into competitor brands.
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

How heavy is dynamat?
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
unlimitedpower
Datsun Mad

Post by unlimitedpower »

Heavy as but i don't give a shit bout the weight.
I think one box (largest = 9 sheets approx 900X450) is about 30Kgs.

I just figure 2psi of the 10 i plan to run will cover all the extra crap i put in the car.

Even good underlay should help alot with the sound.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

I think dattodevil put that in the doors of his ute. And at 140, you can have a conversation like your sitting at a red light.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

Ive always been against it because of the weight but as i get older the more I like the sound of it (pun intended)
My 510 will be getting the mat treatment
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
project_1200_ute
Datsun Dreamer

Post by project_1200_ute »

unlimitedpower wrote:

Dynamate is a bit of a bitch in the tight curvy places it would be a better product if it was more flexible and stickier. So may be worth looking into competitor brands.

cant u just heat it up real hot with a heat gun to get it to bend like with normal sound deadener?
unlimitedpower
Datsun Mad

Post by unlimitedpower »

Yea you prob can but i didn't have a hot air gun, We went looking for that. It also doesn't help the weather is so dam cold to.
Tony.buchler
Datsun Dreamer
aka: Tbag

Post by Tony.buchler »

Not sure if its too late to mention but I use a product called lizard skin on hot rods I paint. It's a two coat spray able sound deadening system. It's light in comparison to matting. Kinda looks like egg carton cardboard. Works pretty well and you can paint over it.
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

Tony.buchler wrote:Not sure if its too late to mention but I use a product called lizard skin on hot rods I paint. It's a two coat spray able sound deadening system. It's light in comparison to matting. Kinda looks like egg carton cardboard. Works pretty well and you can paint over it.
sounds interesting, who,s the agent for it ?