Whats it like owning a datsun??

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Maxz546
Datsun Driver
aka: Mike

Whats it like owning a datsun??

Post by Maxz546 »

Hi there i have joined as i want to buy a datsun for a weekend car but am scared that if i get it will i run into big rust problems and will be a never ending cost?? Just wanting some experience from other datsun owners... Thanks Michael
beaver
Datsun Nutter

Re: Whats it like owning a datsun??

Post by beaver »

Just dont get a rusty one. They are no different from any other car of the time. As long as you arent expecting a show room car with no issues then they are fine. There are bound to be little niggles and issues popping up but that is half the fun!
Maxz546
Datsun Driver

Post by Maxz546 »

I dont mind little issues as i love to work on my cars i just dont want huge problems and im finding it hard to find a 510 let alone a none rusty one lol
beaver wrote:Just dont get a rusty one. They are no different from any other car of the time. As long as you arent expecting a show room car with no issues then they are fine. There are bound to be little niggles and issues popping up but that is half the fun!
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

As beaver said, rust wise no better no worse than most non Italian cars of the era. I have had a dream run out of Datsuns and most owners will tell you the same. They are very simple and extremely reliable. My daily is a 1200, had it ten years, had my first wof issue in over 5 years this week, needs 2 tyres. Only other one I recall is front strut seals, them were 30 + years old.
The engines are bullet proof and fun, simplicity adds to the enjoyment, it is raw, not all sophisticated and removed. We also own an MX5, "the best British sports car ever made" Clarkson, when we first drove one my wife said you can keep that I'm keeping the Z, (240Z).
I have never regretted purchasing any of my Datsuns and there have been a few. The same can't be said for some of the other cars I have owned.

Finding them is the issue, if you find one you like you need to pay for it, or it will be gone and they will want more for it next time it comes up.
Datsuns from A to Zed
Evil13
Financial Member
aka: kane

Post by Evil13 »

I reckon the best part about them is alot of the Nissan/Datsun parts are interchangeable
Mine never go tho so don't get to drive them often but when they do they are the best thing since sliced bread
1200 sedan

1961 ford galaxie
Maxz546
Datsun Driver

Post by Maxz546 »

Exactly. That's why im trying to get one now before i really cant find one. Just trying to sell my car now so i can get one plus another daily driver. What are the 240z like?? Im looking at a 260z now
classicdat wrote:As beaver said, rust wise no better no worse than most non Italian cars of the era. I have had a dream run out of Datsuns and most owners will tell you the same. They are very simple and extremely reliable. My daily is a 1200, had it ten years, had my first wof issue in over 5 years this week, needs 2 tyres. Only other one I recall is front strut seals, them were 30 + years old.
The engines are bullet proof and fun, simplicity adds to the enjoyment, it is raw, not all sophisticated and removed. We also own an MX5, "the best British sports car ever made" Clarkson, when we first drove one my wife said you can keep that I'm keeping the Z, (240Z).
I have never regretted purchasing any of my Datsuns and there have been a few. The same can't be said for some of the other cars I have owned.

Finding them is the issue, if you find one you like you need to pay for it, or it will be gone and they will want more for it next time it comes up.
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

I love the 240Z, Probably an understatement, the girls call it my first wife :) Well I did have it first.
They are very balanced, responsive and give great feed back. They are nostalgic, with good road manners and presence, they travel beautifully on the open road, with a good turn of speed and great feel, with sitting almost on the back axle.
Most have been modified now, but an original one is very comfortable, and handle reasonably well, with a slow in fast out, rear drive, control with the throttle attitude to them.
The only real draw back to them is busy intersections in peak hour traffic, that said I can't remember the last time I felt the nose was too far out and at risk, but being low it is hard to see over 4wds :guns:
They are very strong and ultra reliable like a 1600, not something you hear about most old sports cars, no real issues at all. The later 260Zs with the flat top carbs are apparently harder to keep in good tune, but the early 240s are sweet.
Do it, they are a heap of fun, and look stunning.
Datsuns from A to Zed
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Datsuns are like herpes. once you got em, you'll have em for life.
Very hard to give up.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
my1200
Datsun Mad

Post by my1200 »

STD is an understatement I have been itchy for fucking years.
maddat1
Financial Member

Post by maddat1 »

That 260z 2+2 on trademe doesnt look too bad.did you made contact with the guy yet