James Z31 Engine Blueprinting

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
hsepwr
Datsun Nutter
aka: Craig

Re: JT's 85 300zx,Open headers spitting flames

Post by hsepwr »

85_Z31 wrote:Oh because I'm using JIC / Pushlock fittings the adaptors are for BSP to JIC - so its just convenient to throw a BSP tap through it and I don't need a mixture of fittings
I thought that might be the case I have npt to jic if you need
I REAKON THE WORD CANT MEANS CANT BE FU%&#CKED
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Had a bit of a day messing around with some plumbing and pipework

made up the 3/4 lines to the Valve Cover / Catch tanks, chopped up the coil bracket to relocate it to the crossbar by the hood latch,

Also did some mock up pipework so i can work backwards for a final turbo position.

Starting to look like a real engine bay now, its screaming out for a gutted plenum but oh well.

The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
D1RTY6
Financial Member
aka: Nathan

Post by D1RTY6 »

85_Z31 wrote:Had a bit of a day messing around with some plumbing and pipework

made up the 3/4 lines to the Valve Cover / Catch tanks, chopped up the coil bracket to relocate it to the crossbar by the hood latch,

Also did some mock up pipework so i can work backwards for a final turbo position.

Starting to look like a real engine bay now, its screaming out for a gutted plenum but oh well.

That is starting to look pretty awesome James!
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Very Little Progress of late But i Got a couple of wee things done

Most of it can't be seen but i hate updates without pictures..... so

The final version of the catch can brackets were made, and coated by greg so that system is 100% finished.

Dan Adams Did a sweet job Tig welding up some alloy piping for me so the Inter cooler System is %100 finished now.

The Turbo Position has also been finalized where it fits carefully around everything. Even the air filter with its previous version of the offset base worked out good.
Image[/url]

Image[/URL]
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Re: JT's 85 300zx

Post by 85_Z31 »

This update is pretty much DJZ's fault

he is such a machine at turbo swaps that i felt so bad i went and worked on my car a bit more.

Today I threw in the Flexi Bellows and the turbo feed pipe to see how it all goes together as an installed system.

Hit a few snags with gearbox clearance so another minor change to the Y pipe but nothng serious

One thing I noticed today is the clutch master line is getting in the way - but after a quick google a Navara one has the same cylinder but with the hose poking out the side like this. Image

Turbo flange and engine mount

The whole lot - just slip fitted together

Clutch Master Scenario - the line is touching so thats no good

Not shown but amazingly the heater lines do fit inbetween all of this

Plenty of room for an exhaust through here - Note that engine mount has not been fully trimmed yet it needs another few licks with the grinder.

Next job is to remove the Liner's from each flexible bellows, then do final tack welds in place

Kids seems keen as for some tig work so hopefully he can smash it out for me once i get organised.
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Re: JT's 85 300zx

Post by 85_Z31 »

Wastegate dump location

wastegate tucking around the engine mount

Nice and smooth oil return

Re located a heater reutn hardpipe to be an oil return pipe, only had to drill the 2x holes out and BAM it was totally perfect.

Nicely profiled turbo mounting bracket ( not just the slab of angle that was being used as a jig )

Getting busy down here

Lobster back downpipe

The only option in the space provided

TBH i think its pretty smooth, If i had to I reckon i could have sneaked a 4" downpipe under there.Image

External wastegate placement, 50mm feed pipe to allow for a future update to a 50mm V band wastegate when funds allow it
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Re: JT's 85 300zx- So close to finished headers.

Post by 85_Z31 »

Made some sweet progress lately

Hand linished and faced each manifold port individually for maximum sealing, Going to run these gasket less with copper gasket spray. Oh and they are all done, coated wrapped and ready for their unveiling at the Grasskana hopefully.

Swapped in a different ZX booster to give more clearance around manifolds so i have room for a swish stainless head shield a guy from work is building for me.

And I now have a nice short Clutch master Cylinder, Turns out the side port 510 version was still not close enough. But for $50 im not complaining.

85_Z31
Datsun Master

Re: JT's 85 300zx- Some meaningless rambling....

Post by 85_Z31 »

Making happy noises

Pretty much all up and running minus turbo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9rGbYL ... e=youtu.be

I'm pretty Happy with it.

Quite a lot of the Loom has been unwound and re positioned away from heat sources. I have borrowed a brake line flaring tool and tube cutter so I can sort out the new lines to the master cylinder. And a LHD master Cylinder its on its way from the USA

Hoping to be up and running for Baarts Grass Kana Can't wait for a grass skid.
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

Edited your post so that your linked worked haha. Good stuff James! Look forward to hearing this being thrashed round a paddock!
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Hello Everybody

Ive been hiding under a rock a bit, hardly been on any forums lately a lot has happened.

So i left my old job of 8 years at Mainpower to go work in the big Chch Smoke doing some CAD work for a Building services company. It was a bit sad leaving my old job and a bit starange starting a new one but Now that i have been there for 5 weeks it has been awesome !

Got the deposit for a house together, been to see the bank and I'm Pre Approved for a Mortgage, and then started the House Hunting :deadhorse: . so after all the open homes I got shingles which is basically re activated chicken pox.

But I do have an Update sort of.

Ever Decreasing Circles from back at the Grasskana day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk_3ckzfxuw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cloverleaf from the Grasskana Day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIaCQiKNm5M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

During both of these video's i had severe misfire over 3000rpm, not much clutch and no power steering. And that was aftering busting ass assembling the entire car just to take it there on the trailer - but it was so much fun. And I'm ready for the Lab our Weekend Grass Skids well ahead of time.

So since February I have been waiting for a turbine wheel for my GT35 to become back in stock, this finally happened and I purchased the said wheel. Turns out my Copy GT35 has a funny version of the bearing housing so none of my new turbine parts could be fitted.

So a bit of a Change in direction was to take an old T3 Bearing housing, buy a T04S adapter plate and fit that to my DSR GT35 front cover. and use the previously purchased journal bearing rebuild kit, bullet nut & Compressor wheel to build a TA34 based turbo out of leftover parts. At this point every dollar is going on house savings for lawyers fee's so its all about cost recovery to use what i have.

Too the flapper wheel to the DSR cover to make it a plain cover with no markings, Ceramic Black it looks way better.

I managed to get for basically free a Tow bar from a Z31, long story short i spend ages cleaning rust off this thing painting it to find it didn't fit my car and was twisted up and not square. So out come the angle grinder to convert it into a Strapping down Bar to making towing, strapping much easier and safer.

And other wee job i finally managed to finish off was my LHD master cylinder swap, braided lines and heat shield

So between some disasters i have been able to salvage some stuff that didn't work.

Akaroa is not looking good to be Road legal.