Help needed to revive my Cedric

For all your general datsun ramblings
UP2DATT
aka: Ash

Help needed to revive my Cedric

Post by UP2DATT »

Hi Guys and Girls,

I have been prompted by another member to put a post here about my Datsun 260c, it was last on the road about 5 years ago and unfortunately that was not long after purchasing it.

With only 80k on the clock you would have thought it would be a strong runner but I think I can sum it up by saying it went 30+ years without anti-freeze lol.

I have been in Aussie for the last 1.5 years and had given up hope thinking that it was deregistered but due to it now being 40 rego did not lapse.

I am back in NZ next week for a month and plan to get her running in preparation for my wedding later next year and I am looking for parts to do so, currently I have an engine to view but it is only an L20et, I require a complete running engine and gearbox (factory was L26 3 speed column preference is 4/5 speed floor) and I also need some front seats as I gave up the bench seat as it did not appeal to me at the time.

Here are some pictures of the old girl in her prime let’s hope I can get her looking that good again.

Cheers, Ashley
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Re: Help needed to revive my Cedric

Post by broke »

Plenty of L26's and 5 speeds around, I have 4 and 5 speed boxes if needed, I'm in Christchurch though
UP2DATT

Post by UP2DATT »

I thought it was quite the opposite though I have lined up an L26 and L20 but only the L20 has a gbox, looks like this May become an expensive exercise, I'm happy to sort out something form down Chch if need be cheers for the help
braasmonkey
Site Admin
aka: Braasy

Post by braasmonkey »

Tidy looking 260C dude. I too have been based in Aussie for nearly two years. I'm Sydney based, how bout you?

Good luck with getting the old girl ready for the wedding next year. I too am trying to source a 5 speed box to replace/repair my existing box behind the old L28, so be keen to see how you go :)

- Nick/Braasy
1972 DATSUN 1200 (B110) 4 DOOR SEDAN << Check Out My Build Thread
1972 DATSUN 240Z (S30) 2 DOOR COUPE << Check Out My Build Thread
fletch
Financial Member

Post by fletch »

hey Ashley, what have you done with the old l26 and 3 speed box? do you want to part with the gearbox?
UP2DATT

Post by UP2DATT »

Hi Guys,

Cheers she was tidy and dry stored for 4 of the 5 years so shouldn’t be much worse than when it was taken off the road, I'm based in Newman WA and looking at getting a 240z for a toy here but I currently drive an 07 JK Unlimited with lift and 35's as its best suited to this area.

As for the old L26 and Gbox it was scrapped, the Gbox was hard to shift but may have been worn linkages and as for the engine it was beyond redemption with stuffed head and water galleries, could never get it running right after rebuilding the carb and ignition system to discover that the chain tensioner had failed dramatically but this was after it gave up.
datsunboy
Datsun God
aka: Dan

Post by datsunboy »

Make sure you get it rego or put it on hold. Being over 40 doesn't stop it from being deregistered, it just gives you more time before it does

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
1969 SSS Nissan Bluebird coupe
1970 Datsun 1600 - CA18DET - Sold!
UP2DATT

Re:

Post by UP2DATT »

datsunboy wrote:Make sure you get it rego or put it on hold. Being over 40 doesn't stop it from being deregistered, it just gives you more time before it does

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Yeah 2 years of no rego/exemption then it will be cancelled, un aware of this I paid $50 for a year’s exemption the other night online and I think it will be worth putting on exemption each time it is out of rego.

I plan to keep the car in storage and use it once or twice a year whilst back in NZ on holiday, I would rather spend the 2k that it costs for a rental over a month on keeping it tidy and thats the sad thing about this trip is I need to buy/rent a car this time around bye bye datsun money.
unlimitedpower
Datsun Mad

Post by unlimitedpower »

Should not cost you anything to put it on exemption providing you put it on there before the time period of the registration is up or the last "on hold" runs out.
UP2DATT

Post by UP2DATT »

it may have been a few months past the expiary of its last exemption hence the charge