Stuffed Boot Lock

all your DIY needs
b110sss
Datsun Dreamer

Stuffed Boot Lock

Post by b110sss »

Guys,
My boot lock has pretty much pooped itself after intially being quite stiff then after much trying to turn the key as it became stuck something internally in the barrel seems to have moved and even after spraying the hell out of it with CRC/WD40 while the key goes in and turns it seems to be unable to open the locking mechanism.
Anyone ever come across this or have any suggestions as to how I could get the boot open without butchering it?
Cheers
Dave
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Re: Stuffed Boot Lock

Post by torqued »

You should only use dry lube on locking barrels.
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
68p510sss
Regular
aka: Andrewj

Post by 68p510sss »

Dave, Hopefully it is like a 510 and you can remove the back seat and perhaps rear parcel tray and get to the rear of the mechanism enough to trip it open. I suspect part of the lock mechanism has collapsed. I have opened up lock barrels but it requires prising the outer cover off with out butchering it too much. At this stage I would remove the damaged parts and reassemble the lock with slightly reduced security and use this lock on the petrol flap and promote the petrol flap lock to the boot. Good luck, Cheers Andrew
70 510 rally car rebuilt and prepared as a classic race car
68 510 sss, retired rally car, currently a bare shell being restored
72 510 sss, awaiting restoration
72 510 sss, retired race car back on the road sold to my son
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

The fuel tank might hamper access a bit.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

I should have a spare barrel Dave, but no key, hopefully we could rebuild it to suit your key, I don't think they are sealed and unserviceable. You may need to do the old screw driver as a huge Key trick.
Datsuns from A to Zed
b110sss
Datsun Dreamer

Post by b110sss »

Thanks Guys.
Thanks for your replies.
Yes, I have considered the big screwdriver trick but that would have to be a last resort. Might call a locksmith tomorrow and get their thoughts on it.
Cheers
Dave
b110sss
Datsun Dreamer

Post by b110sss »

Andy was quite correct- same process as the 510. Took the upper back seat squab out and we used a long spanner to flick the little lever that opens the mechanism. Thank God for that!
Cheers
Dave