James Z31 Engine Blueprinting

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Re: James 1985 300zx.

Post by 85_Z31 »

Been a quite productive Easter Friday.

Radiator mounted up for real this time, its in and staying in.
( fully isolated as tested by the multi meter)
IMG_2433.JPG
Gave the intercooler a decent clean and scuff so i could paint it black
( meaning to do this for ages )
IMG_2435.JPG

and got my turbo back from some tricky machine work, just have do a quick diss assembly re lube and a clean then its out for a VSR balance as a complete unit.
IMG_2438.JPG
All in all I'm pretty happy how its coming along, next up is to fit up the turbo and finish the turbo side IC piping and Air filter positon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Did you double check the axial clearance?
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

100% finished Radiator and Pipework
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
After running it up to temp Ive got a few leaks from not having gaskets anywhere in the exhaust so ive ordered stainless crush gaskets for both the turbo flange and the exhaust just to make sure its 100% sealed.

Also Ordered a Race Port Copy BOV as it was cheaper than buying a flange for the Greddy RZ copy that I already have. Its such a simple part I'm sure i can work a bit of magic onto it and make it work tip top
358490005.jpg
The Mighty Greg Top has sorted me out with some Vacum hose so i can remount and re connect the vacum tank so my air vent controls work again.

And because of unforeseen changes i have opted to remove one of my Catch tanks and plumb the Left side valve cover directly to the Air filter. Its going to work better because the Left side only sucked clean air into it anyway so a whole catch can wasn't doing anything but looking cool. the Remaining tank is now hidden by the washer bottle and can be connected to intake manifold with a one way valve to fully replicate the stock PCV system and all its benefits of better ring sealing.
IMG_2455.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

Sweet man looking good!! Radiator fits in nice!
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

You'll probably need to modify the spring in the BOV, that one looks similar to the fake Tial one that I've got on the DR.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

It was quite Interesting taking Apart the BOV.

The alloy Housing actually seems pretty well made, the Anodizing is rock hard and everything lined up pretty well. The steel slide that the piston moves up and down on was just plain steel and was quite rough when you pushed it in and out.

I simply sat there with sandpaper and hand finished it until the machine marks were gone and then the action was nice and smooth. It might take a few goes to get the spring tension right, the pipe is out for welding and that's another job done.
FullSizeRender.jpg
The Breather hose from the valve cover to the filter turned into a bit of a fiasco so i had to buy a couple of fittings at full price from Hydra link to make all my existing lines work.
IMG_2495.JPG
and that is the conclusion of the turbo System that has taken about to the 4th turbo, 2nd inter cooler, 3rd BOV and 4th exhaust manifold and 3rd catch tank to get just how i like it.

Jobs left to do

Wire in Washer Bottle
Sort out surface rust around window
Fix Front Indicators

Then its off to get Legal.
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

Yes!!!!!!!!!
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

well done .
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Wire in Washer Bottle
Sort out surface rust around window
Fix Front Indicators
this panel was another example of a half finished roughly done job that i never finished. Now painted, wired in with a fuse and stainless screws rather than galv ones.
IMG_2516.JPG
Does anybody have any suggestions or Idea's on how I can clean up this heater control panel ?
After wiring in a washer bottle switch and an Accessories power supply for the WBO2 & EBC the rest of it just looks like shit against the new panel.

its sort of like a clear coat but its quite stretchy. I'm lost on how to restore it
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Turbo is built and on the car, ( didn't make Bad sounds ) Send it out for a VSR balance.

Bought a heap of exhaust tube, bends and fittings to make the Wastegate dump return to the main exhaust.

It has to snake through a maze of engine mounts, oil lines, bodywork, wiring and cross members.

Fit up the lower battery heat shield to protect the wiring harness.

Then Its WOF time.

And once that's happened its up to some remedial work.

1)Source and replace the Rocker Shafts
2)Install a TPS and plug so it doesn't fart unburnt fuel out of the exhaust and pop and crackle
3)Fit nicer Aero Latch catches to the bonnet so it dosn't look so terrible
4) Install some glands into the firewall and run wiring for the WB02, Oil press, Mani Press & Intake Charge Temp thermocouple
5) Start of nice and low boost and work on getting a nice crispy Sharp tune for it.