Maddat R31 Diffs

For all your general datsun ramblings
blitzballa
Financial Member
aka: James

Maddat R31 Diffs

Post by blitzballa »

Has anyone used these diffs in their car or something similar? Looking for something a little beefier than the H165 I currently have and liked the look of the diff setups they had (until I saw the price!!!)
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

What's so special about the maddat diffs?? Just get an R31 solid axle diff shorten if need be. From what I've seen on the R31 skyline fb page they are a borgwarner diff so can use a falcon or commy lsd center but not 100% sure so don't qoute me on that. What about an H190?? A little harder to find and lsds are a little thin on the ground but not impossible to source ex japan etc
blitzballa
Financial Member

Re: Maddat R31 Diffs

Post by blitzballa »

I'm not sure I am more interested just to know if anyone has used R31 diffs in general (not just Maddat ones) for B310's. Yea I had an H190 a while ago but sold it stupidly before I decided to go with a boosted setup. The only temptation with an R31 diff would be higher availability of parts for conversions etc.
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

I'm sure you could find an R31 diff pretty cheap and see how hard it'll be to fit?? Disc rear end is also pretty sweet
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Post by brocky41 »

What engine are you running - i ran an open H150 in the back of my 120Y with a CA18DE with no issues for 4 years other than it did get a little noisy towards the end.

I just laughed when people said oh no you can leave the standard diff in, thatll blow up. and 25000kms later it still hadnt - and id given it death at drag day and skids etc.

People seem to want to beef diffs up for no apparent reason

Just my 2c
blitzballa
Financial Member

Post by blitzballa »

Well it's going to be at least an A15 with a supercharger and potentially nitrous but I also am building a seperate A15 with a twin charge setup that if successful I'll drop in. Haha I know the H150 won't like that and I'm not sure if the H165 will either but I thought if I can get an R31 diff cheap enough and cut it down it would give me some peace of mind. Plus the rear disk upgrades would be nice. I have some finned 240Z drums for my 165 though.
tlssunny
Financial Member
aka: jesse

Post by tlssunny »

you can very simply add disc brakes to ya h165. you never exactly know what a diff will take and theres lots of people saying this and that. if I was you I would stick with the h165 and ae86 lsd diff head and see how you go................... once its driving etc you can always start to build a r31 setup etc and just keep an eye out for the r31 diff.
RDAP- Rakaia Datsun b310 Auto Parts
TLS- The Late Shift Restoration Services
blitzballa
Financial Member

Post by blitzballa »

True that. Is the AE86 diff head a bolt in job? Havn't looked in to it too much but I didn't think those phantom grip LSD's I had were that flash.
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

The R31 diff out of Aussie gave heaps of issues and most were replaced once if not more under warranty. That said our SW never gave any issues. H165 are a well trusted Diff, do we know what the limits of an H165 are? There are plenty with CAs and the like in front of them.
Datsuns from A to Zed
dattoboy
Datsun Nutter
aka: Bede

Post by dattoboy »

Have a read through the datsun 1200 wiki link on diff swaps.
I would be going with the h165 with a small axle ae86 lsd. It all depends on how you drive it but what are you plans for the gearbox?

H145, 5.71" ~100 lb. ft.
H150, 5.91" ~125 lb. ft.
H165, 6.50" ~225 lb. ft.
H190, 7.49" ~285 lb. ft.

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki ... Axle_Swaps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;