1983/5 Datsun 720 build

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Nate08

Re: 1983/5 Datsun 720 build

Post by Nate08 »

Chucked the motor back in and all associated parts, wiring etc, here is where it’s got a lil tricky as both Utes came disassembled and this is my first time ever working on one but so far so good progress has slowed a lot at this point just trying to be careful working around my soft paint and trying not to scratch things, finding parts and making custom stuff I’m also trying to tidy it up a bit so I got rid of all the emission control crap, made a egr plate welded up the exhaust manifold and a few other bits and pieces around the place most of which you probably won’t ever see or know unless you know what factory looks like but I’m also freeing up some space for a surprise as I’m going to be pretty low on power and I’ve got a spare motor now too but let’s get it running first and a wof I’m getting excited
IMG_4844.jpeg
IMG_4847.jpeg
IMG_4850.jpeg
IMG_4849.jpeg
IMG_4856.jpeg
IMG_4857.jpeg
IMG_4859.jpeg
IMG_4861.jpeg
IMG_4862.jpeg
IMG_4863.jpeg
IMG_4869.jpeg
IMG_4865.jpeg
IMG_4866.jpeg
IMG_4868.jpeg
IMG_4871.jpeg
IMG_4872.jpeg
IMG_4874.jpeg
IMG_4884.jpeg
IMG_4886.jpeg
IMG_4895.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes is better than a master of one
Nate08

Post by Nate08 »

New grommets all over the show, new lil rubbers and all sorts.

new steering wheel and rims with fender flares after wof maybe a front mount oil cooler too but again get it going then wof then play around with stuff
IMG_4901.jpeg
IMG_4902.jpeg
IMG_4905.jpeg
IMG_4906.jpeg
IMG_4904.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Nate08 on Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes is better than a master of one
Nate08

Post by Nate08 »

This is how she currently sits, we’re just shy of being 3 months in, I plan on going to the lock up this weekend so hopefully more updates soon!
Otodat
Datsun Driver
aka: Steve

Post by Otodat »

Great job, coming out good!
Nate08

Post by Nate08 »

Otodat wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:21 pm Great job, coming out good!
Thanks, she’s a few hours in the making now, that’s for sure!
Nate08

Post by Nate08 »

Didn’t quite get as much as I was hoping done this weekend but progress is progress right, managed to bleed up my brakes, and no issues, just ran a bit of brake cleaner down the lines to clean them out of any potential unwanted contaminants then begin flushing some fresh fluid down them followed by a bleed, now I can stop which is always good, did the same for the clutch, seems to be working okay final test will obviously be moving it under its own power. Did a lil wiring and I’ve also put all the shifter linkages back on, I found some heat wrap laying around so I figured I’d put that on too, soaked the fibre glass for a couple hours in water then stretched it around the manifold, put the manifold on and then doing up the last nut on stud, typical snapped on me and real good too the thread left in the hole was quite deep so back off with the manifold and drill, retrieved thread and clean out the hole and back on with the manifold. While I was at it I have a few broken bolts around the show so decided to work on all of Those, of the 13, 2 ended up having to be drilled right out and they were easy enough to just nut and bolt so I called that a win too. Lacking some motivation lately I decided to push her out in the sun and have another look, also being more complete and having most of the weight back in it minus the wheels gave me a better idea of how it’s sitting, rolled it back inside and started drilling and tapping the fuel drain bung to accept a fitting, cleaned it all out put the sender back in and installed it, replaced some cracked fuel lines replaced most hose clamps and swapped out for a new fuel filter, though it’s not the same design it’s what I had laying around and I was able to make it work so I’m happy with that, I measured up some basic but overly strong mounts to start chipping away at the bed I then also mocked up the start of a frame oh and I threw the radiator, swapped out some clamps and decided to fill it so it can maybe self bleed a little, start the process atleast, unfortunately she leaks so I crushed off that section and hopefully it’s holds under pressure if not I’ll price up a repair or ideally a lil alloy rad maybe off a Honda or something tryna keep the cost down. I’m also in need of a water pump pulley so if anyone has one could yah let me know please, in the mean time I went to pick a part and bought something that I thought would be close and with some modifications at work I may be able to make it happen will post some updates some as I have completed some more stuff it’s starting to feel closer and closer to being done though I know that last 10% often takes the longest to do
IMG_4916.jpeg
IMG_4917.jpeg
IMG_4919.jpeg
IMG_4920.jpeg
IMG_4921.jpeg
IMG_4922.jpeg
IMG_4923.jpeg
IMG_4924.jpeg
IMG_4925.jpeg
IMG_4926.jpeg
IMG_4927.jpeg
IMG_4928.jpeg
IMG_4929.jpeg
IMG_4930.jpeg
IMG_4932.jpeg
IMG_4934.jpeg
IMG_4935.jpeg
Nate08

Post by Nate08 »

Made an overflow tank for the radiator during lunch, probably doesn’t need it but looks cool and took 2 mins to make so why not!
IMG_4940.jpeg
IMG_4938.jpeg
IMG_4939.jpeg
IMG_4941.jpeg
Nate08

Post by Nate08 »

The surprise arrived today…
The kit is for a efi set up but I bought that one so I can chop and change what car it’s in as most of my stuff is efi.
I’ve got a bit of a plan to make it work on the carby, nothing to technical, I will show my plan when I get to installation.

Didn’t get much done today as I had a bit on, but I’ve put what I’ve got for a exhaust on there and plan to weld a stainless section out the back to continue the exhaust out the rear though I forgot to get a photo so I’ll put that in the next post
IMG_4951.jpeg
Nate08

Post by Nate08 »

So we have had some set backs as my radiator repair didn’t work so I’ve had to remove the radiator, my heater seems to be leaking also but I believe the culprit is a nicked hose so I will remedy that at the same time once the coolant has drained. My fuel tank fitting is also leaking so I’ve drained the fuel back out and I’m going to tap it out larger for another fitting I’ll pick up today and try that otherwise I may have to remove the tank again probably fill the tank with water and weld it on but we’ll see. I welded up and painted my tray subframe, fits really well so I’m happy about that and I’ve just been painting in between getting ready to install all the door stuff, I’ve changed jobs and moved house over the weekend so that’s not helped with the process but such is life.
IMG_4986.jpeg
IMG_4987.jpeg
IMG_4988.jpeg
IMG_4990.jpeg
IMG_4991.jpeg
IMG_4992.jpeg
IMG_4993.jpeg
IMG_4996.jpeg
IMG_4997.jpeg
IMG_5076.jpeg
IMG_5075.jpeg
IMG_5078.jpeg
IMG_5079.jpeg