Now otisd's b310 sunny project

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Re: Hamilton b310 sunny project

Post by gingofthesouth »

Looks awesome. Bet it sounds awesome too.
My orangatang 510 here.
Surfez
Financial Member

Post by Surfez »

Hey darrenwilson. As stated in prev post the ports taper in and are very customized to my engine build (in other words... I wouldn't bother with this porting unless you are building the whole race engine package).. I've pulled the manifold off to wrap the exhaust and tidy up some other bits. Inlet ports are 40 mm height, 35 mm wide. I've got 6 mm top of inlets to top of head and about 11 mm between inlet ports. The exhaust side I've not removed, but basically you don't need to port much off the exhaust ports, just open them up about 2-3 mm around each edge. With both inlet and exhaust smooth off the big restriction down around the valve stems (requires a die grinder and dremil? expect a few grinding tips to jump around and snap) Good luck mate. P.s. I did this to a spare engine just encase...full porting took about 30+hrs including combustion chamber and polish. I must say she goes like a rocket and runs as good as it did before even in traffic, I must have got it right :beer:
Datsun Sunny B310 sedan, 3 Owner, Very hot A15 motor, 5 speed, lowered on 14's
Surfez
Financial Member

Post by Surfez »

Heat wrap, more port matching, removed heat shield as it rattled on the air box, remove gear box and checked oil leaks, rear main needed some sealant around the outside edge & a new seal now, old rear sump half moon seal was re-used as the new bottom end gasket kit came with two front seals (not that the parts company will admit it!) so the old seal started leaking even with good sealant all over it, hence I've done this job again. Grrrrr :gun: aftermarket parts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mitey1200
Datsun Dreamer

Post by mitey1200 »

Great looking engine and car. Just curious to what you did to your manifold gasket? Just cut the port holes bigger? Or a custom one
Surfez
Financial Member

Post by Surfez »

Thanks bud, heard of guys boring out the gaskets... In my case the inlets are only 2 mm thick on the sides so bit of a waste of time using gaskets. Just made sure the head face is 110% flat along with manifolds... got mine skimmed/machined and use a good silicon sealer with professional workmanship, nice washers & run a flexible exhaust joiner to reduce the exhaust system swinging around, safety measure (not that I've seen exhaust systems move extractors on the head but heard about it on other cars). Had the car running for a few weeks then removed manifold, no leaks or breaks at all in sealant, my work mate has a 1200 race coupe and does the same. It sounded rough to me at first but considering modern auto engineering use the same method... sumps, gear box, engine assembly, everything relying on a good seal anyway. It provides a good seal, you can 100% port match two parts minus a third (the gasket) you can remove the manifolds as much as you like without damaging gaskets, the biggest advantage, port out as much as you need without mucking around with gaskets.
Surfez
Financial Member

Post by Surfez »

Car is going in for Dyno tune next week, then back to the drags for another DYO time run. I've also decided the lower profile tyres will help.
Surfez
Financial Member

Post by Surfez »

Drags 7-03-14 Night wars, best run 16.4 sec at 135kph... Issues getting traction (open diff/road car) Also I changed to better quality tyres but this was possibly a mistake. I went to higher profile due to them having more tread and could feel the vehicle had less acceleration than normal. Also a Dyno tune booked for next week, thermo fan to go in & possibly tail pipe upgarde at some stage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Surfez
Financial Member

Post by Surfez »

Drag race results... Upgrade of tail pipe section to match the rest of the exhaust, free exhaust "as new" scored from Holden workshop, cut & joined at angle to fit through the back end, upgrade to 98 fuel, downsize to 48 idle jets from 50's, stop the dizzy advancing to much ( detonation at High RPM fixed ) and set timing to max at 25 before, fit some 205/60 14's to the rear.

1/4 Mile was 16.4 at 134 kph now 15.8 at 138 kph in 3rd gear ... Enough to beat a Corolla Sr coupe 1.8 Turbo and almost matched, within 1 sec a VL commodore 3L turbo circuit car, also almost matched less than 1 sec a very loud/serious RX 323 hatch.
Surfez
Financial Member

Post by Surfez »

Drag racing at Meremere night wars with old road tyres fitted. 15.8 sec at 138kph consistant runs... not thrashing it to much!
Won race 1 against Corolla SR coupe running 1.8L turbo. Race 2 less than 1 Sec behind a 3L turbo VL circuit car caged etc.
Also less than 1 sec behind a Mazda RX 323 hatch rotary that sounded pretty darn loud and hot! A good night racing for a worked 1.5L push rod engine in an otherwise factory vehicle.