S14 rotors and calipers?

all your DIY needs
A15VB310

S14 rotors and calipers?

Post by A15VB310 »

Few things, I've seen loads of S13 brake upgrades on 1200's but nothing much on B310's, apart from whole strut swaps. I've got a set of S14 rotors and calipers lying around (as ya do) 2 things, A. what's the difference in S14 and S13 items and B. anyone had a brake swap on standard B310 struts? I reeeeally don't want to swap mine as they have been shortened already.

Cheers.
I sold my Toyota for this.
mint16
Financial Member
aka: Brendan

Re: S14 rotors and calipers?

Post by mint16 »

Brents old wagon?

S14 discs are slightly larger in diameter, and the calipers are slightly bigger too.

Youll need to make a caliper adapter mount to suit your setup.
72 Datsun 1200 Wagon
86 Toyota AE85 Trueno 4AGE ITB
A15VB310

Post by A15VB310 »

Yup, that's the one Brendan. Yeah I figured I'd need to, but that fine, we have a mate that does CNC laser cutting. Cool, I just wondered about the difference. Brent and I had a look at how they would bolt up, They'd need to be slip-ons, they foul up in standard position. So that'd mean londer studs.

Forgot to ask when I saw you last, what wheels are on your wagon? They look awesome.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

The S14 calipers may have larger pistons, which could foul on the caliper mounting eyes.
I'm 99.99% sure that VL comodore calipers bolt straight on B310 struts. But what rotor you'd need to use (be it slip over, or bolt to the back) I wouldn't have a clue. I think the Aussie boys use the VL turbo calipers, but there aint many of them here. The VL calipers do have a nice big pad, and are nice and Aluinium for lightness too. If somoene could be arsed mocking up a caliper on a strut, and spending a zillion years trawling through brake catalogs for a disc that worked, I'm sure it could be a popular conversion.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

have your calipers machined into circles to take a slip on on rotor then you can use the rotors you have, or at least keep it a Nissan part for easy future replacements

Bang out the studs and fit some longer ones and you will be in business.

Its not so relevant to your conversion, but it does show you detail of how the hubs were machined.

http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2187" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
A15VB310

Post by A15VB310 »

I was actually looking at that before I posted this up. Seems like you pretty much have the same idea in mind, I'll give it all a whirl and see what happens, hopefully Brent (fast4motion) is home tomorrow so I can have a look at how everything works... I've only had to jack the Datto up a few times (2 oil changes, 2 tires and a loose nut at the bottom of my headers) so I haven't done much investigation.
mint16
Financial Member
aka: Brendan

Post by mint16 »

A15VB310 wrote:Forgot to ask when I saw you last, what wheels are on your wagon? They look awesome.
Dunlop TE 14x6.5s :D
72 Datsun 1200 Wagon
86 Toyota AE85 Trueno 4AGE ITB