SR20DET Boost Levels

For all your general datsun ramblings
SRDATO
Financial Member
aka: Nic

SR20DET Boost Levels

Post by SRDATO »

Hey

Bought a Greddy electronic boost controller for the 1600.
Its a 98 180sx sr20det with factory t25 with only exhaust and intake mods, does anyone know what sort of "safe" boost levels these can handle with the factory ecu?
Wanting to run around the 14 - 15psi mark and have an air/fuel gauge to watch and make sure it doesnt lean out but just interested to know what other people are/have been running safely.

cheers

Nic
MADDAT SR20DET 510 - Sold
94 GTR Skyline 580hp money pit
datsunboy
Datsun God
aka: Dan

Re: SR20DET Boost Levels

Post by datsunboy »

I don't know SR's all that well, but you should be able to run 14psi no problems.
Factory Nissan ECU's run really really rich, so turning up the boost shouldnt be a problem fuel wise.

Just make sure you turn it up slowly, checking that it's not starting to knock/detonate anywhere.
1969 SSS Nissan Bluebird coupe
1970 Datsun 1600 - CA18DET - Sold!
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

Running 1bar on factory Nissan ECU is fine. But with any turbo car I wouldn't be trying to thrash it everywhere still.

Also the SR motors have tiny oil galleries in the head so make sure you service every 5000km religiously.
My orangatang 510 here.
SRDATO
Financial Member

Post by SRDATO »

Cheers guys, yea im pretty anal about servicing.

Fitted boost controller this arvo.
Has low boost and high boost settings so have set low boost on 10 and set high boost to 15 for times that i feel like a bit more of a kick.

Went for a good run with it on 15 and at full boost through each gear the air/fuel gauge was well into the green so should be sweet.

Thanks
Nic
spiderwebfx
Datsun Dreamer
aka: Chris

Post by spiderwebfx »

Just note that pushing the little T25 to 14/15PSI is around about it's limit.
I would personally back off a little as the amount of heat it would be creating would be extreme with the pressure flowing through it.

In saying that, I have seen T25's on SR's run for year's without failing at that pressure, but just be weary of it.
SRDATO
Financial Member

Post by SRDATO »

Yea cheers, im only running that boost level on the high boost setting which ill only run on occasion otherwise ill leave it on the low setting at around the 10 - 12 mark.

Looking to change to a t28 possibly which should handle it better but ill go easy for now.

Nic
spiderwebfx
Datsun Dreamer

Post by spiderwebfx »

T28 is a much better way to go, even if it is just a S14 PFL one.

Going to a S14FL/S15 T28bb turbo will give you slightly better boost response as well. Generally cost twice as much as a normal T28 though.
SRDATO
Financial Member

Post by SRDATO »

spiderwebfx wrote:T28 is a much better way to go, even if it is just a S14 PFL one.

Going to a S14FL/S15 T28bb turbo will give you slightly better boost response as well. Generally cost twice as much as a normal T28 though.
Yea your right, ive looked at a few s14 ones on trademe but idealy id like a s15 one but havnt seen any one there so will see what happens.
Im not after massive power levels its got more than enough go on 15 psi but i want it reliable.

If onyone knows anyone with a t28 for sale now or in the nearish future five me a shout.

Cheers
spiderwebfx
Datsun Dreamer

Post by spiderwebfx »

nissansilvia.co.nz always has them cropping up. The T28bb generally go fro about $400-$500
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

Well personally I would run a t28 off a GTi-R which is a journal bearing turbo with a .86 AR housing / 79 trim / 53.7mm wheel on turbine side and .60 AR / 60 trim / 60mm wheel on the compressor side

Great HP/torque ratio in mid rev range.

It's efficient up to 15psi and will be good for up to 300hp.

Journal bearing turbos can be rebuilt unlike a BB turbo.

Just upgrade the thrust bearing to a 360 thrust bearing for reliability and your good to go for reliable consistently higher boost levels.

Just remember, for the extra air you need extra fuel. Make sure your injectors/fuel pump can handle the extra squirt and that your AFM is up to accurately reading the extra air. If you change your injectors you will need to remap your ECU.

Have fun.
My orangatang 510 here.