Lowering Blocks & U Bolts for Datsun 1200 Roadstar

Need a new Datsun? or some parts to help your project?
niccy
Datsun Driver

Lowering Blocks & U Bolts for Datsun 1200 Roadstar

Post by niccy »

Hey guys,

I need some help lowering my roadstar as it has leaf spring setup so not sure where to get blocks & bolts and how to go with it? :)

Anyone wanna share some knowledge!
Can't say I have had experience with leafs before :P
Datsun P510 - [ MIS 510 ] - Z18eT

Datsun GB120 Roadstar Ute - Here! - A15, 5 Spd *FOR SALE*
beaver
Datsun Nutter

Re: Lowering Blocks & U Bolts for Datsun 1200 Roadstar

Post by beaver »

Someone on here may know off the top of their head what size you will need. or ask one of the many sellers on trademe.

otherwise........
Take off the current u-bolts and life the diff off the springs, there will be a locator pin which the doff slots onto. Measure this.

Then measure the dimater of the u-bolts and the distance between each part of the 'u', (will be 75mm or something)

Then find someone who sells them (pleanty on trademe) and tell them your measurements and how much you want to lower it (they are usually 1" or 2", anythign bigger than 2" requres cert) and they will be able to provide somethign to suit. May or may not be a direct bolt in job. I had a fair bit of fluffing about to get blcoks to fit my 120y.
DATY12
Regular
aka: Kev

Post by DATY12 »

Hey mate I have a 1200 Roadstar ute and I lowered it in a way that did not require blocks.
We removed the 2 short bottom out leaves (These 2 are separate to the others that are clamped together)
We then put them on the top which flattened out the rest of the leaves lowering it by around 100mm.
I am running 14" Hyashi street fins and the gaurd sits nice and level with the tyre.

It is quite a firm ride but as I never put loads on the back it works well.
I have been thru a cert and got WOF's with it this way for the past 8 years with no problems at all, it doesn't even look like it has been changed at all and best of all ITS FREE!!!!

Some people may not think this is the perfect way to lower a vehicle but it saves movement of the diff that you sometimes get when using blocks and it seems to work great for me.

I hope this helps, all els failing there are plenty of lowering blocks and u bolts on trademewith the people listing them saying to mention the type of vehicle you have and that they will supply to suit.

Good luck
Datsuns I've owned
Datsun Sunny x 4
Datsun 1200 Sedan
Datsun 1200 Roadstar Ute
-Current
Datsun C20 Vanette
joelbrown
Financial Member
aka: Joel

Post by joelbrown »

Hey Nic, im in the middle of lowering my ute at the mo, it already had 2'' lowering blocks that i got from chamberlains in chch a few months ago in it. I think i paid 160buks for the kit. jst make sure u take 1 of ur old ''u'' bolts into chamberlains with u to compare sizes coz they gave me the wrong 1's n it cost me a 2nd trip to twn. At the mo ive jst picked up my leaf springs from Bellamy and east, i got them reset down 2.5'' for 170buks. After installing them bak in the ute i found they must hav fukd it up coz its only gone dwn 40mm, jst my bad luk. I got my frnt coils compressed 3''at chamberlains on fri for 80buks but i havnt installed them yet tho. I asked at chamberlains how much it wud cost for me to jst drop off the ute and have them do all the work from start to finish = $700, (thats including wheel alignment) I wasnt keen to pay that tho. The front original ride height from guard to axel was 345mm, full extension was 420mm, full compression was 255mm. So 345 take 3''(75mm) leaves me 15mm travel, i found i could cut bout 25mm from frnt bump stop tho to giv me 40mm travel (hopefully/-jst theory) If u go any lower than 2'' drop in rear u will probly nd to cut ur bump stops down a bit. I hope sum of this dribble is a help :roll:
1990 1200 ute
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

If you're ever having your leaves reset, I can't reccomend strongly enough to have the eyes reveresed. Leave with no elipse are pretty close to useless.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
SRDATO
Financial Member
aka: Nic

Post by SRDATO »

I got the lowering blocks and u bolts for my ute from Autoline on wordsworth street.
Pretty cheap to, was well under 100 for the kit from memory.
MADDAT SR20DET 510 - Sold
94 GTR Skyline 580hp money pit