Kierans 160jsss coupe project.

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
koogle

Kierans 160jsss coupe project.

Post by koogle »

This is my 160jsss
Decided to pull it apart for a repaint at the end of last year hopeing to be completed by this time next year.
Any ideas on colour to paint it and ideas for how to beef up the motor its a l16.
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Re: Kierans 160jsss coupe project.

Post by classicdat »

Looks good Kieran, Looks like a good honest car. I love these things in their dark Met green all glossy, they are such a contrast to anything today and timeless.
L16s are great engines, Whittleone (Spelling) on here and Lang Inder (Correct spelling this time, Sorry Lang for past mistakes) have both recently built up engines for there Js, using 40mm side draughts, or maybe 45mms. I think you could be very happy with the performance you would get out of an engine like this, and the engine note is just sweetness :P My 2cents worth, the closer you keep it to original the greater it's value/return for investment will be and it doesn't matter how much HP you put into it, you can always want more and get more... The more you put in at the front the more strength you have to add all the way back, the more parts you break and need to replace and the tireder your car gets.
Sorry if I sound like an old man, but it is about finding the balance between performance, costs and coolness.
Datsuns from A to Zed
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Welcome to the site dude,
I LOVE 710's. One of my fav datto's.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
Flauski
Financial Member

Post by Flauski »

Nice, very nice. I am also a big fan of 160J SSS.
unlimitedpower
Datsun Mad

Post by unlimitedpower »

Very honest looking car.

Colour to paint it. Maybe refresh the original colour? After that its all up to personal preference.

Beef it up with a Subaru CLSD at the back. R30 skyine 5 speed (if it isn't 5 speed)
L18 block at the front. Or if you want to avoid a cert L18 Crank Pistons and Rods fitted to the L16 block. (will need an over bore)( some might say cylinder walls might be a little on the thin side but depends what your plan is for motor afterwards)

Standard SUs are nice if they are in good condition. If they arn't bin them infavor for some side draft 40-45mm cam to suit, get a tune!!!

Other than that drive it and enjoy it. Focus your energy on preserving it with good rust work and drown it in rust preventive.
koogle

Post by koogle »

Thanks for the ideas and advice guys. Just about done pulling it apart will start the awsome job of sanding soon.
Decided to keep it green but a nice dark green keeping the l16 give it a port n polish, new cam, side drafts, new header with 2" of noise behind it. Think I will have to look at aftermarket brakes because there isnt much 4 stud disk and calipers that fit my wheels.
unlimitedpower
Datsun Mad

Post by unlimitedpower »

R31 skyline front struts Aus assembled unit will be more than fine for what you want.
You need to chop the original spring seat off then do the same to your original struts and swap the original spring seat over onto the R31 struts.
I bolted up a wheel on my struts and lowered the spring seat down 10mm above the tyre of choice i was going to run. This gave me a 45mm lowering job with out even having to change springs. :badgrin:
I can give you a measurement if its easier though.
Lang Inder
Financial Member

Post by Lang Inder »

or use r30 front struts like me, and just replace the discs and calipers with r31/c32 stuff, as is doesn't lower it a heap but it handles/stops heaps better
1973 Datsun 140j, Completed project
2x1972 Datsun 1200 B110 Coupe
1979 Datsun 280zx, targa top, 68.000 genuine km
2x1982 Datsun 180sx
koogle

Post by koogle »

Already have new springs and dampers as when I first got the car all the dampers were rooted so I just put new springs in it when I replaced the dampers did make it handle alot better and made it a little lower too. Didnt have any photos of it after the new suspension btw.
koogle

Post by koogle »

If i put a r30 5 speed in would i have to change the driveshaft?