E15 Distributor timing for A15 Engine Help

all your DIY needs
darrenwilson
Datsun Driver

E15 Distributor timing for A15 Engine Help

Post by darrenwilson »

Hi all i want to put E15 distributor into a15 engine.I have done all that has to be done.Idont jnow how to time the EI.I need all the help i can get thank you.8-)

Cheers Darren.
Long Live Datsun 1200

Check out my thered>> http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2127" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Re: E15 Distributor timing for A15 Engine Help

Post by classicdat »

show us some picks Darren, sounds lie a useful mod :D
Sorry I am not sure of the point you are at to give any advice.
Datsuns from A to Zed
beaver
Datsun Nutter

Post by beaver »

Shouldnt be any different to setting the timing with the old distibuter should it? All you have essentially done is replace the points and condenser with an electronic unit. They still have a sensor which rotates with the distributor shaft so by rotating the body you are changing the timing.

I may well be completly wrong.

The articles detailing the conversion say that you need to make up an adaptor plate to allow the e15 distibutor to rotate properly (when seting the timing)

This might help http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki ... butor_Swap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
darrenwilson
Datsun Driver

Post by darrenwilson »

Not My Photos but this is the idea!

remove gear from A-series distributor and fit to the E-series distributor
Create new (or modify existing) housing clamp-down
Insert distributor with correct timing
Connect the two wires and enjoy maintenance free driving (no more yearly points changing)
[edit]
Gear Changeover
E15 doesn't use a gear, but is otherwise nearly identical to A15 distributor:
4537.jpg
Top dizzy is from E15 to which the gear has been fixed, while the lower one is from A10/A12.
3948.jpg
The E15 has been converted for A series. Note that it seems to fractionally longer that the A series when comparing shafts -- but that's because the plate is not installed yet.

Using a 3mm pin punch, remove the roll pin from an A-series distributor. Remove the gear from the shaft. Do the same for the retaining ring on the E-series distributor. Fit the A-series gear onto the E-series distributor shaft. Before drilling a new hole for the roll pin, ensure there is sufficient end float at the top of the gear. (Use a shim or similar when drilling). The clearance required is minimal but is needed to ensure the distributor spins freely. What is the spec for this clearance on the original distributor?
4604.jpg
You don't need to modify the dizzy casting to install in an A-series -- it fits in just fine. However, the E-series distributor's hold-down bracket doesn't line up with the block's bolt hole.

Solution:
- modify the distributor
or
- rather than modify the distributor, make a simple bracket. Then leave the dizzy's own bracket hanging off the distributor unused. It is cast in with the housing so doesn't come off.

Use any single one of the following methods. For a more OEM look, you can drill, grind, cut and otherwise modify the E15 dizzy casting. But there's no need to modify the housing. Your choice.
For Early blocks the simplest method by far is to drill two 6mm (1/4 inch) holes exactly 42 mm apart:

2 or 3 mm thick aluminum
hole centers: 42 mm
overall size approximately 65 x 20 mm

Fit the destributor in over the stock A12 dizzy plate, and bolt the bracket in like so:

:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Long Live Datsun 1200

Check out my thered>> http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2127" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;