Heat Pump Install

all else goes here...
kk-kolonel
Datsun Dreamer
aka: Chris

Heat Pump Install

Post by kk-kolonel »

Had a heatpump installed by a yet to be named supplier/installer.

Was charged $2500 odd for the heat pump and $980 for the Installation

After the installation I was shocked to find some obvious issues..

Firstly the unit is HUUUGE - the brochure does not show the true size of the unit and I would not have OK'ed to put it in such a blatantly obvious place

brochure - http://www.panasonic.co.nz/heatpumps/he ... 18hkr.html

Without asking they pulled out 2 shrubs which we had nicely growing.

Now I can no longer open the french doors all the way open

Even though the hook to hold the door back is obviously right there behind the wiring/plumbing

The power conduit is run along the ground and is mounted at 1200mm gaps so the conduit can move around fairly freely

They damaged the gib around the power point that they branched the power from and tried to hide it by putting the cat house in front of it

I would have much preferred if they had put it here - it is much more discreet and nowhere near the french doors.

Am I being unreasonable?

I won't name the company responsible as the agent is coming over tommorow to take a look and may put it right, but his sarcasm and the way he has talked to me the last 2 days make me believe he ain't going to do diddly squat for me...

ARGH Anger does not begin to desribe my feeling right now.....
Last edited by kk-kolonel on Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brnwgn
Financial Member
aka: Hayden

Re: Heat Pump Install

Post by Brnwgn »

rough cunts man that sorta shit fucks u off :evil:
send them a letter saying they were on target and see how quick they respond :guns:
Dattodevil
Datsun Addict
aka: Damo

Post by Dattodevil »

Was it a back to back install?
kk-kolonel
Datsun Dreamer

Post by kk-kolonel »

Dattodevil wrote:Was it a back to back install?
yeah it ended up being that way - but there was no reason why it had to be (that I know of anyway) - feel free to inform me though...
Dattochriswagon
Datsun God

Post by Dattochriswagon »

Mate that is unbeleivable! Thats is not a professional installer. The contractor that carried out this work shoud be sacked! :gun: :gun: :guns:
Dattodevil
Datsun Addict

Post by Dattodevil »

It costs a little more to have the outside unit further away from the inside unit. If you chose where to put it inside they would have just assumed you wanted the back to back install, only because most people do.

In saying that, some of their workmanship does leave a bit to be desired.
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Post by dirtyleppa »

as a decent contractor, they shouldnt be assuming anything
kk-kolonel
Datsun Dreamer

Post by kk-kolonel »

Dattodevil wrote:It costs a little more to have the outside unit further away from the inside unit. If you chose where to put it inside they would have just assumed you wanted the back to back install, only because most people do.

In saying that, some of their workmanship does leave a bit to be desired.
Nah that was the other thing - they chose where to put it - the place that I wanted was deemed to be too hard to install into..

Also if they had asked me, I 100% would have said to put the unit around the corner discreetly...

Oh ALSO - I forgot to mention this - he told me he had sent us through a quote saying the unit was going to be where it was and we agreed - not only did we never recieve this quote (other than just a plain emailed price) but when you check on the created date of the pdf - it was created at 11.32am this morning..

The guy is a fucking liar....

Dattodevil
Datsun Addict

Post by Dattodevil »

Well then they are monkeys, and you should throw something at them :mrgreen:
datsunboy
Datsun God
aka: Dan

Post by datsunboy »

shit man!
theres no way your being unreasonable!

Heres my views (as I work for a company that does a lot of HVAC design....but not install)

That looks like a pretty shit install! (and a damn expensive one!)
and I could almost gaurentee, that having the power running like that it agaisnt the NZ building code!
let alone just a dumb idea, right where you walk in and out of the doors.

also, Im not an electrician, but I very much doubt that you are allowed to just branch power off a power point for the unit! it really should have its own 20A circuit breaker in the switchboard.

We just got our heat pump installed on saturday, and the guys did a great job, and for only $400 8-) (but it was a weekend cash job.....but not a friend or anything)
we had one other quote of $700.

We had our outdoor unit installed on our roof aswell.

The guys SHOULD have asked you where you wanted to install the outdoor and indoor units.....no matter how good or bad they were as contractors.

But the size thing......in a way....thats kinda your own fault.....it does say the exact outdoor unit dimensions in that brochure you showed.....looks like it might be a noisy beast too?

If the guy comes around and doesnt want to help you out any, then ring an electrician, and check up on those couple things if its legal or not.....if not, you'll be able to take some form of legal action against them (even just saying you will, and telling them your reasons, should scare them into fixing it for you).
1969 SSS Nissan Bluebird coupe
1970 Datsun 1600 - CA18DET - Sold!