gingofthesouth's Orangatang 510

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Re: gingofthesouth's 510

Post by classicdat »

That is tight. Hope you're using solid mounts, wouldn't want it to move.
Datsuns from A to Zed
Flauski
Financial Member

Post by Flauski »

I have a mate who has an FJ in his. I seem to remember there is a difference between S12 Gazelle FJ20ET manifolds and DR30 Skyline FJ20ET intake or exhaust or both manifolds. One set offers more clearance than the other.

It was hard enough getting FJ20 parts 10 years ago, so imagine finding either set of manifolds would be near impossible now. He is a hoarder and may have spare so will ask.

I will try get pics. Only saw his one again last night and I am sure he had more clearance than you.

He def has to have his brake master resovoirs mounted remotely and his thermo fan is damn close to the front pulley.
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

Flauski wrote:I have a mate who has an FJ in his. I seem to remember there is a difference between S12 Gazelle FJ20DET manifolds and DR30 Skyline FJ20DET intake or exhaust or both manifolds. One set offers more clearance than the other.

It was hard enough getting FJ20 parts 10 years ago, so imagine finding either set of manifolds would be near impossible now. He is a hoarder and may have spare so will ask.

I will try get pics. Only saw his one again last night and I am sure he had more clearance than you.

He def has to have his brake master resovoirs mounted remotely and his thermo fan is damn close to the front pulley.
Those pics are not of the engine mounted in, just where the engine fell. Its now much closer to the firewall etc. and has plenty of clearance in the front. Well prob just enough for the radiator and skinny fan.

I will be going back out tomorrow night so will try take photos of the engine mounted in.

Also I think I purchased my half burnt out loom off your mate. The injector loom part was melted and I had to replace the injector plugs etc. Still helped though lol

Classic, the mounts were made to bolt onto the standard crossmember rubber mounts. Shook the motor furiously after it was sitting on the mounts and nothing touched, no clunks etc.
My orangatang 510 here.
gingofthesouth
Site Admin

Post by gingofthesouth »

So here are some pics of the engine mounts and clearances:
enginemounts01.jpg
As you can see the small mark on the chassis is the only result of the dropped motor!
enginemounts02.jpg
Plenty of clearance behind the engine by the firewall:
enginemounts03.jpg
This looks closer than it really is. The inlet manifold is actually above the reservoirs:
enginemounts04.jpg
The other mount:
enginemounts06.jpg
enginemounts07.jpg
Room up front:
enginemounts08.jpg
And at a glance:
enginemounts09.jpg
Once the gearbox mount is done the engine is out and the mounts, cross member, inlet manifold and tappet cover are off to get powder coated black.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My orangatang 510 here.
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

your mate is very clever, I wouldnt have liked that job with a freshly painted engine bay, well done, looks great.
gingofthesouth
Site Admin

Post by gingofthesouth »

2 doors wrote:your mate is very clever, I wouldnt have liked that job with a freshly painted engine bay, well done, looks great.
Its my wife's brother, and he is indeed quite talented lol.
My orangatang 510 here.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Your mounts do look very well made.
I hope you're planning to fit a high mount turbo manifold, and a rediculasly oversized turbo?
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
gingofthesouth
Site Admin

Post by gingofthesouth »

Bartman wrote:Your mounts do look very well made.
I hope you're planning to fit a high mount turbo manifold, and a rediculasly oversized turbo?
Haha. Yes I do plan to go that route (not too rediculous, just top mount, external waste gate and a shady t04e) in the future, when I have a new job :D I know you are probably taking the piss out of me with that comment but seriously, I think a top mount and a larger turbo will work nicely :)

In the meantime the T3 is mounted and works fine where it is :)
My orangatang 510 here.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Excellent. :burnout:
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

gingofthesouth wrote:In the meantime the T3 is mounted and works fine where it is :)
I am having zero problems with my T3 after I threw a $50 Trade me rebuild kit in it, and after i modified the exhaust housing and down pipe its performing very well on the 3.0 v6.

Ging if you have a mate with a lathe and some patience doing something like this to the exhaust housing really does make a massive difference http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopi ... 4&start=40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Also Ging if your T3 has the 0.48 exhaust housing some FJ20's came with i would be interested to buy it when you eventually upgrade.
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30