gingofthesouth's Orangatang 510

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
acustx
Datsun Dreamer
aka: Greg

Re: gingofthesouth's 510

Post by acustx »

From what you have described I don't think that you are asking to much. It sounds like the painter is just making excuses for his crappy paint job. I think that he should repair the paint job (apart from your "slips") for nothing.
69' 510 Show car (well will be when its finished)
classicdat wrote:Steady progress beats periods of rapid progress broken up by dicussions with members of local Law inforcement :D
unlimitedpower
Datsun Mad

Post by unlimitedpower »

Na i don't think you are asking to much. My estimation is approx $4500 with paint. Ive asked him along the hole way how its going cost wise and he said its all looking pretty good. I had a basic primer over the car which was really rubbed back. Colour matched primer 1st coat heavy blocked 2nd coat light blocked (any fine filling was done at this stage by painter) My paint is a pretty out there custom blend of 2K paint

My bro inlaw painted boot and engine bay for me.

Estimation around 40-50hours work involved. I helped strip the sealer out of a few places. But other than that its all been up to him. And my panel beater (extra) to fit up front end before final coat of paint goes over top.
Also an extra was getting him to spray all the floor pan.

All my door hinges were removed stripped and coated. The areas under them have been prepped and painted etc. On both doors and the body.

My car currently has paint on the front guards and valance and underneath those areas at this stage but its looking really good so far, Happy with the work. The guy has been painting cars for prob 40-45 years and does know his shit.
I pay in cash that may or may not have helped my price i don't know. I also didn't give a time limit he just cruising along with it but im expecting another 2-3weeks and car will be home.

I believe you have a good case to push to get the car resprayed at a heavily discounted price. (do you want that firm doing the job for you again if the best they can do is what they already have done) Maybe ask them if they feel this the best possible job they could do for that sort of money, are they happy with the out come of there own work and are they happy to stand back and say they are proud of the job they have done. Let them know that when you enter the car in shows there name will be there in big bold letters advertising there work. Are they happy for people see that and there name be associated with the job?
Something else you could do is go get a professional opinion from another painter. You may need to head out of town to do this as professionals don't like to step on each others toes etc. This will give you an idea of what you should have expected for the money you paid.This will also answer your questions about the water in primer and chipping of the paint. We aren't talking about a small amount of money here so don't feel you should take bad workmen ship and shrug it off,

As i say my job hasn't been finished yet and i guess in that case there's a chance my estimate may be way off (i really hope not) But until then i won't really know. The front guards im happy with so far anyway.
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

unlimitedpower wrote:Na i don't think you are asking to much. My estimation is approx $4500 with paint. Ive asked him along the hole way how its going cost wise and he said its all looking pretty good. I had a basic primer over the car which was really rubbed back. Colour matched primer 1st coat heavy blocked 2nd coat light blocked (any fine filling was done at this stage by painter) My paint is a pretty out there custom blend of 2K paint

My bro inlaw painted boot and engine bay for me.

Estimation around 40-50hours work involved. I helped strip the sealer out of a few places. But other than that its all been up to him. And my panel beater (extra) to fit up front end before final coat of paint goes over top.
Also an extra was getting him to spray all the floor pan.

All my door hinges were removed stripped and coated. The areas under them have been prepped and painted etc. On both doors and the body.
My car currently has paint on the front guards and valance and underneath those areas at this stage but its looking really good so far, Happy with the work. The guy has been painting cars for prob 40-45 years and does know his shit.
I pay in cash that may or may not have helped my price i don't know. I also didn't give a time limit he just cruising along with it but im expecting another 2-3weeks and car will be home.

I believe you have a good case to push to get the car resprayed at a heavily discounted price. (do you want that firm doing the job for you again if the best they can do is what they already have done) Maybe ask them if they feel this the best possible job they could do for that sort of money, are they happy with the out come of there own work and are they happy to stand back and say they are proud of the job they have done. Let them know that when you enter the car in shows there name will be there in big bold letters advertising there work. Are they happy for people see that and there name be associated with the job?
Something else you could do is go get a professional opinion from another painter. You may need to head out of town to do this as professionals don't like to step on each others toes etc. This will give you an idea of what you should have expected for the money you paid.This will also answer your questions about the water in primer and chipping of the paint. We aren't talking about a small amount of money here so don't feel you should take bad workmen ship and shrug it off,

As i say my job hasn't been finished yet and i guess in that case there's a chance my estimate may be way off (i really hope not) But until then i won't really know. The front guards im happy with so far anyway.
mate you have summed this up perfectly
510BRE
Area Reps
aka: shane

Post by 510BRE »

sounds like you got a shit deal ging ....jokingly mention fairgo that can get peoples attention too....just as an example i had a seven thousand dollar paint job on one off my cars and it is buetifull show room condition .......i would expext maybe small faults that you could put up with for that price but not the hole car a f#4$in mess
1972 r/h drive 2dr P510 sedan 98 sr20det in the build
1969 l/h drive 2dr PL510 sedan bre look alike
1972 r/h drive 4dr P510 sedan pretty standard
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

Cheers everybody.

I am gonna take it back to them in a week or so before i go to Wellington and hit them up about it. I want it fixed, and I want it finished. If I have to pay a small amount so be it, but I am not gonna sit back and have a shit finish to my car.
510BRE wrote:sounds like you got a shit deal ging ....jokingly mention fairgo that can get peoples attention too....just as an example i had a seven thousand dollar paint job on one off my cars and it is buetifull show room condition .......i would expext maybe small faults that you could put up with for that price but not the hole car a f#4$in mess
I would have paid more if thats what it was going to cost to get the job done that I wanted. I explained what condition and accuracy I wanted before he quoted.

Anyways will see how it goes second time around.
My orangatang 510 here.
z181200
Datsun Mad

Post by z181200 »

Heres some inspiration for you Ginge!

http://datnut.dfrag.com.au/page/4/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gingofthesouth
Site Admin

Post by gingofthesouth »

z181200 wrote:Heres some inspiration for you Ginge!

http://datnut.dfrag.com.au/page/4/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow, thats awesome. Truely an inspiration and I am gonna take several clues from it including the ride height and the wheel choice!

I might just copy this for Chris's old ute!
Last edited by gingofthesouth on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My orangatang 510 here.
Dattochriswagon
Datsun God

Post by Dattochriswagon »

Oh hell yeah dude!
DylPhil7
Financial Member
aka: DylPhil

Post by DylPhil7 »

You guys are cockfags
gingofthesouth
Site Admin

Post by gingofthesouth »

DylPhil7 wrote:You guys are cockfags
Is that why you tried to get in my pants? You should have just asked. :lol:
Might take you up on the room offer if I don't find a house by friday next week brosive.
My orangatang 510 here.