Axle help needed please.

For all your general datsun ramblings
SRDATO
Financial Member
aka: Nic

Axle help needed please.

Post by SRDATO »

Hey

Changing diffs in my 1600 after the trackday prompted the end of the r160 :burnout:

The reason i never got it changed and ready for the Akaroa run was when i poped the axles out i noticed different splines.

My 1600 had the u/j type end with the bolt running through the centre bolting it into the diff head.
The r180 ive got has 4 bolt flanges with two splines on the shaft and circlip at the end to hold it in the diff head.

Havnt had anything to do with the rear ends in these before so after a bit of info please.

It has a leone r160 in it, do the 1600s have the u/j type with bolt running through the centre from factory or has it had axles from the leone fitted? Is there an axle combo that will go in without getting sometihing made?

Any info would be great please.

Thanks
MADDAT SR20DET 510 - Sold
94 GTR Skyline 580hp money pit
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Re: Axle help needed please.

Post by classicdat »

Nic there is lots of info on here and the net about fitting a viscous diff, you need a stub with that extra wee spline.lf if you plan to go R200 now might be the time, as custom axle will be needed for both and I think they will be different. By the sound of things you have had a great great run out of a std rear end. You have asked in the right place lots of guys on here who have done this up grade.
Datsuns from A to Zed
datsunboy
Datsun God
aka: Dan

Post by datsunboy »

The standard diff has bolts in the centre like the Leone one but also has a 4 bolt flange .
Some other Nissan and Subaru diffs had the splines you are talking about. Usually the viscous ones as Vaughn said.
If your r180 already has some 4 bolt flanges in it, then use those, and some standard 510 axles

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
1969 SSS Nissan Bluebird coupe
1970 Datsun 1600 - CA18DET - Sold!
SRDATO
Financial Member

Post by SRDATO »

Your spot on there.

Im thinking its running leone inner half shafts and i need to source some 1600 standard half shafts and it should all bolt together as i have the 4 bolt stubs that go into the diff head.

Thanks for the info.
SRDATO
Financial Member

Post by SRDATO »

classicdat wrote:Nic there is lots of info on here and the net about fitting a viscous diff, you need a stub with that extra wee spline.lf if you plan to go R200 now might be the time, as custom axle will be needed for both and I think they will be different. By the sound of things you have had a great great run out of a std rear end. You have asked in the right place lots of guys on here who have done this up grade.
Thanks Vaughn, if it was to come to getting custom axles made id definatly scrap the r180 and go for a r200 but at this time im trying to get it back going for summer a little stronger and cheaper than a r200 conversion which will follow somewhere down the track.