gingofthesouth's Orangatang 510

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

There is 42mm clearance between the bonnet stay and the radiator. The lowest profile fan I have been able to find is 45mm (10 inch fan) so I may have to make a new stay.
My orangatang 510 here.
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Re: gingofthesouth's Orangatang 510

Post by broke »

That is some tight clearance indeed. Only problem with putting the fan in front is that it takes up valuable real-estate that you will want for your intercooler. As unpleasant as it sounds, it might be easiest to just look for a modern, thin profile radiator and electric fan combo out of a Silvia or something. Or just use a solid fan mounted to the water pump (should just clear) and make up a custom shroud.
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

this is one of my all time favourite 1600s, good to see it back up on the first page, as an ex radiator repairor I would agree with classicdat that you need more room between the pulley and the radiator,any amount of sudden braking will destroy it.
im guessing I may be preaching to the choir here though, can you remove the pulleys centre bolt and maybe use countersunk cap scews to hold the pulley on? may give you some extra space
gingofthesouth
Site Admin

Post by gingofthesouth »

2 doors wrote:this is one of my all time favourite 1600s, good to see it back up on the first page, as an ex radiator repairor I would agree with classicdat that you need more room between the pulley and the radiator,any amount of sudden braking will destroy it.
im guessing I may be preaching to the choir here though, can you remove the pulleys centre bolt and maybe use countersunk cap scews to hold the pulley on? may give you some extra space
Good idea with the countersunk screw caps. I never thought of that.

I am wondering if I forgo this radiator in favour of a thinner Silvia version. I still don't think i will have enough clearance for the fan though...
My orangatang 510 here.
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Is a front mounter Pusher fan an option ?

I have seen it done on an V8 converted E30 where it had a similar space issue, it was not ideal but it certainly worked just fine.
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
Kitch
Financial Member

Post by Kitch »

I have had to go to front mount pusher fan on my coupe, as had minimal clearance between the extended crank pullery with the new toothed gear and the radiator. would have much prefered it on inside, but was out of options.
Godzilladat
Datsun Nutter

Post by Godzilladat »

Your best option is a electric water pump, then just blank off the water pump flange. Even with a thinner radiator you will encounter the same issue.

I did this on my fathers car when we did a mini resto on it over the last 2 years so can provide photos if required.

If you don't plan on using an air to air intercooler, buy a N13 pulsar radiator (not a gti-r one, they are different). then you can fit 2 x 10inch fans that fit beside the pulley.
chris_g1
Committee Members

Post by chris_g1 »

Anymore progress ?? ill check that stuff out on Thursday for you
gingofthesouth
Site Admin

Post by gingofthesouth »

I have gone investigating electric water pumps, if I can reverse the blade on my fan (and then polarity to turn it into a push fan).

I am currently out in the car looking for some calipers to more accurately measure shit as I can't find mine since the move..
My orangatang 510 here.
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

gingofthesouth wrote:I have gone investigating electric water pumps, if I can reverse the blade on my fan (and then polarity to turn it into a push fan).

I am currently out in the car looking for some calipers to more accurately measure shit as I can't find mine since the move..
Since you're close by you should make W.R. Twigg your source for tools, nuts and bolts, brass bits, etc and Hutt City Auto Parts and Extreme Automotive your sources for automotive parts. All good people to deal with and reasonably priced, especially Twiggs.